Russound VM1 HD Video Switch

Sacedog

It looks like the VM1 is now available from Russound, as they have it listed on their website under distributed video solutions, and they do not have any "coming soon" next to it.

Can anyone confirm this, and if so, does anyone have pricing for these units?

Also, considering that it communicates via RNet, I am wondering if the existing Elk driver will be able to control this unit, or if it will require an upgrade to the driver.

I've been working yesterday and today to confirm availability of the VM1.

Between my distributor and contacts at Russound I've heard anywhere from it's available now, to it's available for pre-order, to it won't ship until September.

I think the latter is correct, but should know for sure later today.

There will be five different flavors of this video switch (4x4, 8x8 and with/without upconverters) and retail pricing ranges from $2190 - $4590.

I expect this will work just fine with the Elk driver as it simply switches the video along with the audio source provided by the CAV/CAM via RNET???

Cheers,
Paul

I expect this will work just fine with the Elk driver as it simply switches the video along with the audio source provided by the CAV/CAM via RNET???

You might not know the answer to this question yet, but I thought it was worth a shot. :p

If this is the case, and I have a CAV, will I be able to use the existing video sources on the CAV, on the same zones that I am using the VM1 on? In other words, if I hook up a 4x4 VM1 to my CAV, will the VM1 take over video output control of the first 4 zones, or will it just add component video input/output to the first 4 zones? I would rather not pay the extra amount for the up-conversion, if the CAV already has this built in.

I don't own any Russound products yet though, so I guess another way I could do this would be to buy the CAM, and add a 8x8 upconverting VM1 on top of it...cha ching. :p

One other question I have too. Will the VM1s come with the appropriate number of VMR1s? (i.e. if I purchase a 4x4, it will come with 4 VMR1s, and if I purchase an 8x8, it will come with 8 CMR1s)?

Thanks for the info.

I wonder why the vm1 doesnt have audio in the wall plate like the audio authority does. If your speakers are in the ceiling, and all speaker wire goes to the ceiling, how will you have audio through the TV? I thought the Y P & R are color only, correct me if im wrong.

I wonder why the vm1 doesnt have audio in the wall plate like the audio authority does. If your speakers are in the ceiling, and all speaker wire goes to the ceiling, how will you have audio through the TV? I thought the Y P & R are color only, correct me if im wrong.

The Russound video switch is "video only" and assumes that you'll use your whole-house audio speakers for the TV audio. Depending on the location of your whole-house speakers this may be a good or bad thing???

Audio Authoritie's AVAtrix is a switching device only so makes accomodation for the audio. Russound assumes their video switch will be tied into one of thier amplified audio systems.

Cheers,
Paul

There will be five different flavors of this video switch (4x4, 8x8 and with/without upconverters) and retail pricing ranges from $2190 - $4590.

Cheers,
Paul

I only count four by your post. 4x4 regular, 4x4 upconverter, 8x8 regular, and 8x8 upconverter. What is the 5th option??

Hi Brian,

The 8x8 version come in three flavors:

-No upconversion
-2 source upconversion
-4 source upconversion

PK

Back