Sage TV Help

magrann

Hey there,

I am thinking about Sage TV. I currently have a HP MediaSmart Server as well as my A/V equipment in the basement. My primary TV is above the basement in the family room and the Eee PC is in the kitchen next to the family room. I have one HDMI cable running from the basement to the TV currently but I could pull cat5e if need be. I am running J9AE on the Eee PC. My music and movies are on the HP server but I could probably keep these on both PC's if necessary.

Current Hardware:
Verizon Fios Router
Verizon Motorola Dual Tuner HD-DVR

Here are my questions/concerns:

1. Can either of my systems handle Sage TV and HD playback (see system info below)?
2. How about for recording?
3. What would I need to purchase?
4. Where would I need to locate the hardware?
5. Do I need the USB-UIRT?

System Info:
HP MediaSmart Server
Intel Celeron 2.0GHz 64-bit Processor
2GB of DDR2 DRAM
Single SATA 7200 RPM 750GB Drives
4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A ( 1 in front ) , 1 x Storage - eSATA , 1 x Network - RJ-45

Eee Top PC 1602
Intel Atom N270
1600 GHz 2GB RAM 160 GB
Integrated Realtek High Definition Audio, Integrated Intel GMA 950
Microsoft Windows XP Home
USB - Universal Serial Bus (x6)

Thanks
Mike

The mediasmart server should make a good Sage server. In other words, it simply records the shows. For playback, I would really recommend getting one of the SageTV HD-200 HD extenders. They are less than $200 and virtually guarantee that you can playback anything on your TV.

For tuners, it all depends on your source. For OTA or clear QAM I would suggest using the HDHomeRun tuner. For satellite or encrypted cable, I would suggest the Hauppauge HD-PVR. Whatever you look at, make sure it is a network or USB tuner since your mediasmart machine does not have any PCI slots.

Thanks for the advice. The tuner info is really helpful. I assume I can get started with the HD200 and add a tuner later. Will I need the USB-UIRT or does this depend on my setup location?

Thanks
Mike

You'll need to get the Hauppage HDPVR in addition to the Sage and HD200. That's the only way the MEdiasmart can record the signal. It will be able to record one tuner only, so if your box is a dual tuner, I think you'll need to get a second HDPVR. The HD200 will play the files off the Mediasmart, so they will need to be connected to the same network. The HDPVR has a IR that can control your Motorola Box. I had issues with mine, so I got the USBUIRT and have had no issues thus far.

Thanks.

I am on board with the Sage offering but I still have some basic questions.

If I understand this correctly, I would load the software on the mediasmart. Then hook the hd200 ethernet to either my actiontech router or a switch (I do not have one currently). Can I run two video outputs (HDMI&Component) and either use them one at a time or concurrently? Can I connect the audio direct to my receiver and still get sound via HDMI directly through TV.

I will have to think about the tuner most of our recordings are network tv and pbs. Would I need something like the HDPVR to pass live tv from the cable box to my TV? And for multiple TV setup would it be 2 tuners and 2 extenders.

Currently I control my equipment with a RF/IR remote and I think this will work with Sage. Would I be able to control Sage with a PC other than the mediasmart and would I need the USB-UIRT?

I have a concern with the playback from the mediasmart. When I remote into the server, I can't control the volume nor hear anything (wmp) from the server. I don't know if this is just because of remote connection or what. Will this be a problem for Sage.

Thanks All
Mike

I use SageTV and love it.

I bought the program and 2 extenders. This allows me to use SageTV at the PC and on 2 TVs in the house. I also bought the placeshifter license key allowing me to watch my recordings anywhere I have a computer and a fast network connecting. Say for instance I were traveling and wanted to see a missed episode of House. I could stream it from my PC at home to my computer in my hotel room a thousand miles away from home.

Sage is installed on my PC in the basement and I have an extender, older HD100 model, next to the TV on the main floor. This extender on the main floor receives all of its programming via my network cabling and I can add more extenders to other TV around the house if I wish to increase my system.

The computer I use has a Hauppauge PVR500 dual tuner for my analog CATV stations as well as a HDHomerun QAM dual tuner for the digital. This gives me 4 tuners. I can record 4 programs at the same time or watch 1 live program while 3 others are recording. Very similar to TIVO.

I have the SageTv software on my PC's C-drive and I have it record my programs on a separate 1T internal drive. This lets me backup the C-drive entirely as it contains the crucial info. Also SageTV recommends that you set the sectors on the recording drive to some unique size for better quality.

Each TV away from the PC requires an extender to access the SageTV network. Each extender controls volume, tuning, viewing programming, etc for that TV alone. If you watch a program you can delete it when finished which removes it from the PC as well.

Any music or pictures you have on the PC can also be accessed at any extender as well as any DVD movies you burned to your hard drive. The extender also will connect to Youtube, Google video, Weather, as well as many other feeds.

I love the SageTV unit now. At first it was a bit overwhelming due to the multiple menus and options available.

Setup was a bit confusing too. I kept the PDF open while setting it all up at the PC but now I feel quite comfortable with it. Their tech support responds within a day through emails, I used it when I had some setup confusion.

I only wished that Netflix would work out something with SageTV. But I think the motion picture industry is preventing it right now as it would be too easy to record.

My older HD100 extenders work nice and I use the component outputs on them for now until I buy some newer TVs with HDMI inputs. If you are tech savy and can think things out logically you'll have no problems. If you get in over your head their forum is very helpful like this one.

Thanks for the overview. I placed my order for the HD200 and Sage Server as well as the HDPVR. I hope the HDPVR makes sense for me. I do not have any antennas to support the other tuners but I will most likely explore this next. I guess I don't see my HD cable box being replaced anytime soon therefore I went with the HDPVR. Although, I would say the majority of our recordings if not all are network and pbs shows. Does anyone know if I can record the recorded shows from my motorola dvr to the pc with the HDPVR?

Also, will I need a client license to control my music and video from a seperate pc. I would not really want to watch anything on the pc just use it as sort of a remote. I also ordered the USB-UIRT.

Mike

Hey there,

I am thinking about Sage TV. I currently have a HP MediaSmart Server as well as my A/V equipment in the basement. My primary TV is above the basement in the family room and the Eee PC is in the kitchen next to the family room. I have one HDMI cable running from the basement to the TV currently but I could pull cat5e if need be. I am running J9AE on the Eee PC. My music and movies are on the HP server but I could probably keep these on both PC's if necessary.
Thanks
Mike
you know about the Save TV user forum, right?

Back