SageTV would you?

IVB said:
I love the Roku/Plex combo. I ditched Satellite, we're now only HuluPlus, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video. We only pay for 5 shows on AIV, still *much* cheaper than Satellite. I can access my media library via Plex.

I also own SageTV and 2 HD200's, but there's literally zero chance I'd invest new $$ into it. Sure it does tons of stuff, but its a dead product. No desire to build expensive & hot HTPCs in each room, and you cannot easily get stuff via streaming esp since much of it came out after Sage was EOL'ed.
 I second this approach.  In case it is not clear, the Plex channel on the ROKU (and on neoTV, googleTV, android tablet, and iPad) will stream your recorded shows from windows media center.  In this capacity, it can substitute as a media center extender.

I like my Roku and Plex.

"will stream your recorded shows from windows media center"

So, if I want to set a recording for a particular show?? Do I have to go to the computer running MCE? 

I have a CableCARD tuner, but gave up (in fact, need to put my tuner up for sale), since Time Warner is encrypting everything in my area, not to mention it's a major hack job.

Windows 7 MCE + the Ceton Echo extenders is the only viable alternative, but the Echo extender reviews aren't that impressive, and I sure don't want to go back to PC based extenders or investing in big/loud/power hungry Xbox360 units.

drvnbysound said:
Dan, does W7 MCE + CableCard tuner allow you to record copy-protected content?

Yes, I believe that it does, but it can only be played back from the MCE PC that it was recorded on. If you want to watch it on a TV it must be watched through an extender connected to the same MCE machine. Also there is a 5 simultaneous extender limit so you cannot have more than 5 things being watched simultaneously for MCE.......probably OK for most people but I do not want to cap myself at that just in case.

To me it looks like I am going to go with 2 TIVO XL4's combined with a few TIVO minis. Feed into an HDMI Matrix then I should be able to have access to either from anywhere.....will have to have a seperate solution for DVD/BR player/Media Library.....may use Sage TV or MCE for those.

So, if I want to set a recording for a particular show?? Do I have to go to the computer running MCE?

Yes, you do.  The Plex app does NOT allow one to schedule recordings...only play that which has already been recorded.

Fortunately, for me, being on the computer quite regularly, this is not a major drawback.

drvnbysound said:
Dan, does W7 MCE + CableCard tuner allow you to record copy-protected content?

I believe the W7 MCE will allow you to record and watch shows that have been flagged "Copy Once".  If the flag is stronger than that, then even the MCE solution will not be able to record it.  For some reason, SageTV cannot record shows that have the "Copy Once" flag.  

EDIT - striking through incorrect information.  Thanks dgage for clearing it up.

I'm trying to find alternatives to my SageTV setup.  As I use it mainly for TV/DVR distribution, I'm thinking about getting rid of my Cox Cable service and going with DishTV and using their Hopper (DVR) and remote 'Joey' units.  These Joey units connect and communicate with the Hopper via coax cable, only problem is, they are seven bucks a month rental (so may consider alternatives or opinions but use THIS thread so as not to get this one off track on DishTV subject).

sic0048 said:

I believe the W7 MCE will allow you to record and watch shows that have been flagged "Copy Once".  If the flag is stronger than that, then even the MCE solution will not be able to record it.  For some reason, SageTV cannot record shows that have the "Copy Once" flag.  
Wrong! MCE can record any shows on any channels including HBO and the like which are most definitely copy protected. Those copy protected shows can only be played on the computer that recorded them or an extender connected to said computer.

In the multi computer example I gave on the first page, copy protected shows wouldn't play between computers but at least in my area Comcast does not copy protect non-Premium channels so i can watch all of my shows on any computer and even move them to my laptop and this includes ESPN, Discovery, etc.

The main issue I have with TiVo, Genie, Hopper, is the limited storage space and limited options for extending that storage. I have 10 terabytes of storage that I can record shows to so I can have a whole bunch of Mythbusters, NCIS, etc and watch them when I feel like instead of always worrying about space because the system records shows for the kids they really don't watch anymore.

But if you plan to have premium channels or have an annoying provider that sets protected flags then MCE would be limited to 5 simultaneous extender sessions.

David

Dan (electron) said:
Windows 7 MCE + the Ceton Echo extenders is the only viable alternative, but the Echo extender reviews aren't that impressive, and I sure don't want to go back to PC based extenders or investing in big/loud/power hungry Xbox360 units.
The Ceton Echo is almost prime time ready. I'm not sure if its main tv in living room ready since I haven't moved it down there but I haven't had any issues with it in weeks. I have gigabit throughout the home and even the Xbox 360 has network issues infrequently and it seems the gigabit adapter isn't very robust in the Xbox 360. While the Ceton Echo has had growing pains, I've not seen any network slowdowns as it has been rock solid in that area, which I am happy about.

The interesting thing with the Echo is Ceton will be releasing an Android based version of the software but that is delayed so they are likely making sure it is up to standard before being released. I look forward to the Android version because that would allow the extender to be an extender as well as having the ability to act more like a WD TV type media player playing all types of video formats. To say the current Xbox 360 is limited in the types of media it can play is being kind.

David

oberkc said:
Yes, you do.  The Plex app does NOT allow one to schedule recordings...only play that which has already been recorded.

Fortunately, for me, being on the computer quite regularly, this is not a major drawback.
This is an issue for me, as I want to be able to maintain control of recordings from the TV, while I'm viewing it. I don't want to have to remember what to record once I get back to my computer. Additionally. I have a separate machine that I use (and hope to continue to use) as a media server. Currently, it's next to my main desktop, but the idea is to move it to another location... in which case I'll have to use remote desktop, Team Viewer, etc. to access it.

dgage said:
Wrong! MCE can record any shows on any channels including HBO and the like which are most definitely copy protected. Those copy protected shows can only be played on the computer that recorded them or an extender connected to said computer.

In the multi computer example I gave on the first page, copy protected shows wouldn't play between computers but at least in my area Comcast does not copy protect non-Premium channels so i can watch all of my shows on any computer and even move them to my laptop and this includes ESPN, Discovery, etc.

The main issue I have with TiVo, Genie, Hopper, is the limited storage space and limited options for extending that storage. I have 10 terabytes of storage that I can record shows to so I can have a whole bunch of Mythbusters, NCIS, etc and watch them when I feel like instead of always worrying about space because the system records shows for the kids they really don't watch anymore.

But if you plan to have premium channels or have an annoying provider that sets protected flags then MCE would be limited to 5 simultaneous extender sessions.

David
Yeah, the main issue that I found with W7 MCE was the limited extenders - primarily Xbox 360s which are far too big for what I wanted... and I'd be paying so much for functionality that I'd never use. I looked into other extenders, but at the time they were all discontinued and I couldn't find them for sale anywhere. I don't know if 3rd parties have begun offering them again, but they just weren't available at the time.

Additionally, I didn't care for the fact that MCE records in a proprietary format. So if I wanted to use a 3rd party media player (e.g. WDTV) I'd have to transcode each file to something else.... again not ideal.

With STV, I recently watched a show which I thought a friend would like... during the show I sent him a text about it. He agreed that he'd be interested. Instead of him having to wait until it came on again (he was out of town at the time), I recorded it to STV, then burned him a copy (DVD) and gave it to him the next day when he returned.

I work for a certain company that stopped development on said MCE product and there are still many that run MCE so I'll see if there is any relief to the 5 extender limit as if there is, someone in the internal forum will know.

The only active extender sold besides the Xbox 360 is the Ceton Echo and it came out last November, about 3-4 months too soon. It is stable now and now Ceton is working on their Android firmware update I linked to earlier. The Echo can be found for around $160-175 I think.

If you don't mind used, you can find many extenders on eBay periodically and for under $100 Here is a Wikipedia link to some extenders. Looking on eBay just now it looks like the primary ones available are the Linksys DMA-2100 and DMA-220 (has DVD). I still have a couple of those in the closet and they work well. I've also used and like the HP x280n, I used that primarily before I bought the Ceton. Right now my primary tv is on an Xbox 360 and my bedroom TV is using the Ceton Echo. Those are the two main tvs we use but have a couple other tvs with the HP extender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Center_Extender (look at version 2 extenders)

And note that everything we are discussing here is for Windows 7 MCE. Windows 8 MCE doesn't really add anything new for MCE and will only work with the Xbox 360 and Ceton Echo extenders.

David

Yeah, other than the Echo, I believe that was basically the same list that I was looking at before. I figured people would post them for sale from time to time, but when I scoured eBay at the time there were basically NONE available.

At least the Echo is finally down to a manageable size for an extender.

Back