Satellite Pre-wire

Thanks for all the help!

For those who have done dish setups. Do you use the providers distribution hardware? or do you buy the distribution box (like the one I listed in the first post)?

Also, each tv required a seperate satellite box - correct? Do most sat companies charge you per box?

yes, they charge PER box, even if you OWN your own box, they still charge you PER box as you need the access card autorized. directv anyways.

you can put all your set top boxes in one location if you want, then run them thru a matrix switch then out to ANYWHERE you want. you will need a way to do IR as well and audio. it can get complicated and costly but its WAY cool.

if you want want simple cheapest install, let the sat company provide all the equipment. your choice. if you have super long distance, i would not use their dist box unless its powered (which they can supply for more money). power comes thru the rg6 back to the dish so long distance can hinder dish movement and degradation of the power back to dish is also inhibited more if you use copper clad steel rg6 instead of bare copper.

I know I personally would run it all to one central location and use SageTV to distribute it via ethernet. I'm thinking that is going to be cheaper then IR and martix type setups. Not to mention you can also run RG6 back to that same area from each room in the house. Then you can have Cable or Dish and not need to rewire the whole house. Doubling up RG6 is probably not a bad idea either, but probably overkill if yoou have Cat5 at each drop.

I second Collin's recommendation. Sage gives you all the features of TiVo PLUS: more recording tuners (I have 4, 2 HD OTA and 2 satellite), and any TV can watch anything (live, recorded, DVDs, etc.). Adding TVs are easy... cat 5 with an MVP (extender) and TV is up and running.

I second Collin's recommendation. Sage gives you all the features of TiVo PLUS: more recording tuners (I have 4, 2 HD OTA and 2 satellite), and any TV can watch anything (live, recorded, DVDs, etc.). Adding TVs are easy... cat 5 with an MVP (extender) and TV is up and running.

Sorry, thread hijack...

What are people typically using for MVPs with Sage? Also, can Sage record HD from a HD Sat or Cable box?

Sorry, thread hijack...

What are people typically using for MVPs with Sage? Also, can Sage record HD from a HD Sat or Cable box?

SageTV thread here, many more queries answered.
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=8454

MVPs are a cheap hardware client that boots across ethernet, SageTV has modified it's boot image to act as a client. You can do almost everything from an MVP that you can do from a PC based system. They cost ~$100 and are limited to SD TV.

SageTV can record HD from capture cards, network appliances (HDHomeRun) and from modified Sat/Cable boxes (RC5000). Of course you can also FTP them directly into it's library as well.

Back