security camera and wiring

v1rtu0s1ty

hey guys,

I'm thinking of adding an external camera in my main door and the backdoor(backyard). Am I correct that one RG6 cable and one CAT5E is sufficient?

Thanks!

I agree, why not run one of your 22g pairs for power plus a coax line. The only reason I see the need for Cat5e is if you would later want to use an IP based camera (but you would still have to plug it in or supply power to that somehow).

toymaster458 said:
On my installations I always do a RG59, Cat5e and a 18/2
Yes, again good advice for ultimate future expansion capability. Curious what pan & tilts you use and how you interface them into HA systems.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Yes, again good advice for ultimate future expansion capability. Curious what pan & tilts you use and how you interface them into HA systems.
I mostly use Vitek for cameras but it changes depending on camera location and needs. I also use a custom built DSR Server that has the ability to control the PTZ from a web interface so HA integration is easy.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I agree, why not run one of your 22g pairs for power plus a coax line. The only reason I see the need for Cat5e is if you would later want to use an IP based camera (but you would still have to plug it in or supply power to that somehow).
Ok, BSR. I thought that CAT5E is for power. It's an option though.

Thanks. :)

toymaster458 said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
The only reason I see the need for Cat5e is if you would later want to use an IP based camera
You also need it if you want a Pan/Tilt/Zoom camera
Hi toymaster, I'm assuming you are saying that I also need CAT5E for pan/tilt/zoom, right?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
And am I correct that I need to put a double gang box for the camera?
I depends on the installer. I just stick the wires out through a snug hole untill I know what kind of camera I am installing then depending on how the camera installs depend on what I use.

Back