Security system direction for new house?

JimS

Planning a new house and its been years since I seriously looked at what is available for security.  Familiar with monitoring via POTS but thinking I should use cell monitoring since POTS seems to be going away and cell link can't be cut easily like POTS.  Kind of like open source stuff so have set up some raspberry pi motion cams and think about if I should just get a basic security system and do some DIY additions for automation and cameras or get a system with some of those capabilities.  Not looking for a super deluxe system with all the bells and whistles.  Just a modest system with low monthly fees and good reliability.

I'm not sure if I would worry about "open source" as much as I would worry about getting a system that is UL Listed. I'd check out DSC. They make lots of panels. Also Honeywell Ademco VISTA.

I agree on the main security function being UL listed. What I am pondering is going with more open source/DIY solutions for other things or going with something like ELK M1 that has more built in.

Today there is no match to the multiple automation / security Elk or Leviton panels.

Both panels are old technology (long in the tooth) today but no one else has ever been able to match the feature set in the Elk M1 or Leviton Omni Pro panels.

Here run X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee on my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel.

Really depends what you want. If you want automated lighting, blinds, voice, automation, then I would go with ELK or Omni, but the price will get up there. At the same time, the "dumb"panels have come a long way in the last few years.

On cost, really the only ongoing cost is monitoring, and that's about $200/year but your insurance might give you a discount. That's for cellular. For IP and dial-up monitoring its more like $100/year, but you need battery backup on your modem, router, switches, etc.  Cellular is best.

Back