Sensor on a chain link fence gate

Smcross03

Has anyone ever installed a sensor on a chain link fence gate to know if it is open or not? If so, how did you do it? I have an elk with the Honeywell wireless receiver so a wireless solution would be ideal, but Im open to suggestions! Thank you

What type of gate? Sliding, swinging, dual swinging that meets in the middle?

I’m about to install a Seco-Larm SM-226RQ on my sliding driveway gates. They have wood that I’ll attach to but you could make it work with metal. I will hardwire mind to the Elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't you just put a sensor on the inside part where it the gate would swing away from it?  With it being a chain linked fence, it is not like you could use it for when someone opened the gate without you knowing since it would all be exposed anyway.  So it would just be a simple contact sensor.  Alternatively, you could also place it on the latch portion since you would need to raise the latch to open the gate.

IanBrown,
Yeah that is what I was thinking, but I wasnt sure if there were some specific sensors for my application. All the outdoor rated sensors Ive seen are square in shape and I wasnt sure how that would look on a round pole. I probably wouldnt even be doing this but we have a new puppy and, twice now, the gate has been left open and she went out on an adventure. We cant see this particular gate so it would be nice to know if it is open before she goes out. Thank you for the suggestions!

What outdoor sensors were you looking at? Curious as I’m not sure how mine will hold up outdoors over time...

I think you could drill a couple holes in the posts to mount a sensor. Or even zip ties if you can’t see it and it’s not for security per se and you’re not concerned about tampering.

Edit: or pipe clamps / hose clamps instead of zip ties. Nearly as quick and better. You said you can’t see it so I’m assuming aesthetics isn’t a big issue.

That looks good. Looks like you could play around with it. It has an option to connect an additional contact so you could try some cheaper smaller sensors connected to it and conceal the larger sensor somewhere else. How big is the gap between posts that you’re trying to monitor?

Edit: I assume you’re comfortable that would be within RF range?

I think I will give the 5816OD a try. After looking at the install manual it has provisions for zip ties which I think would be preferable in my situation. The distance would definitely be within range. Its probably less than 30 feet as the crow flies from the wireless module.

Thanks for all the input!

Glad to help. Let us know how it turns out! I could be interested in using that same sensor at some point but would need to add the Honeywell RF module first. I don’t think Elk makes an outdoor sensor like that for their RF module.

Not quite what you are looking for but I used a Zwave door module sealed in a PVC pipe with a heavy duty door magnet. Been working flawlessly for 2+ years.  Did have to put in 2 zwave repeaters in the house closest to the fence gates, I have 3 gates, all are monitored.

Back