Sentinel CCTV

ALEDOUX13

I saw this package at costco for 999 and I was wondering if it was worth looking into. It has RS232 control and can be monitored via the net.Sentinel CCTV The cameras looked ok in the store. What does everyone think?

Would you really use that monitor? You can get DVR's for the $600 price range I believe. The cameras are only 1/4". I think you could do better with the remaining $400 and specify different cameras.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Would you really use that monitor? You can get DVR's for the $600 price range I believe. The cameras are only 1/4". I think you could do better with the remaining $400 and specify different cameras.
BSR,

Can you advise on a setup. I have just finished the prewire on my house and a friends. Looking to do 4 cameras with camera control, (I mean which camera is active on screen not pan,tilt,zoom) net monitoring, recording and I am looking to do some integration also. ( Doorbell rings and front camera automatically displays on tvs) Thanks!

It's actually not a horrible price at $999 for what is included. If you're looking for an all-in-one solution and don't have a monitor, computer or such to use as a DVR than maybe something like this is fine for you. For a business, this would be perfect.

Things to consider:

- Cameras share 30fps
- 100 hours real-time recording with 80GB drive is most likely based on worst quality
- Interfaces with your PC and you probably can choose another software package to use.
- HD is upgradeable (300GB max)
- Although it supports RS232, pan/tilt features are not on included cameras, only model SG7380 dome camera

Although I always prefer going the custom route, this solution is most likely much more reliable and easier to use. Therefore it's ruled out for me!

Stinger said:
Although I always prefer going the custom route, this solution is most likely much more reliable and easier to use. Therefore it's ruled out for me!
I am the same way I'd rather build it but didnt think I could get the same features for the price.

You certainly can easily duplicate the features if you already have a dedicated machine to use. A 4 port 30 FPS DVR card goes for about $15 on Ebay. For cameras you can find similar specs for $45-$100. I just posted a 2nd article on my website about selecting cameras and what I use in my setup. The software will range from free (what comes with the card) to $100 (Active Webcam).

If you don't have the server, watch Dell for good deals on their 420SC server model over at fatwallet. One just ended for a P4 2.8 80GB HD 512MB Ram (no OS included) for $358.

So again, the choice is not a matter of cost, but personal preference to how much time you want to spend setting it up. About $900 would get you the brand new server(minus OS, so add money for Windows), four cameras (better than those included) and active webcam (or your preference).

Back