serial port expansion cards

Comtrol is definitely one of the 'industrial quality' brands out there, I have deployed many of these. I believe there are already some linux drivers out there.

Agreed. Industrial-ish. Linux-ready. Traffic would be completely negligible on a 10Mb network; it's as good as non-existent on 100Mb or 1Gb. The L2 / MAC / ethernet implementation is theoretically faster and more efficient than the L3 / IP method. I've used both at times.

Oh yeah I guess there are linux drivers on their site. I think i got thrown off when you threw it under the etc category. I'll have to break this puppy out soon.

my two additional ports (for Net Caller ID box and Diginet) should get me by for a while, but I am intrigued by the RocketPort.

I have tried a number of options but the easiest I have found that had NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY ATTACHED DEVICE was the Edgeport USB to Serial boxes.

I have 4 of them and they don't need additional power beyond the USB connection and once you get the latest driver from Digi, they work flawlessly.

I had the Digi 8 port add on PCI board but it finally gave out when I went to XP-PRO. The new drivers didn't help. Still have that and one of the 4 port PCI boards from Byterunner and could never get it to work.

As I remember, the Digi board was around $400 when I bought it. Still have it and the Byterunner 4 port boards just in case anyone has a need for them. Will make you a GREAT deal. Not doing any good just sitting in a box in the closet.

I have a 4 port usb to serial comtrol rocketport, and I have an 8 port byterunner card.

The rocketport has been in service for about 5 years and the byterunner about 2 years.

Both of them work extremely well and I have never had any problems.

StevenE

Back