setting charge parameters on cell phone for longer battery life

JimS

Just discovered this is an option on newer phones and thought I would share it... I have a Samsung A32 so not a high end phone and it has this. You can set the max battery charge to 85% and also an option for slow charge. These cause less wear on the battery to make it age less. I usually charge my battery every night so that's plenty of capacity.

These batteries will loose their total capacity over time. Only charging the battery to 80% of max charge, and never allowing the battery to fully discharge will help extend the battery's capacity. It is better for overall battery life to charge it more often, but for smaller amounts, that it is to charge for longer periods of time, but less often. In other words, going from 100% to 20% and charging back to 100% takes more life out of the battery than going from 80% down to 40% charging back to 80% and running it back down to 40% and charging it back to 80%. Effectively both scenarios "used" 80% of the batteries capacity, but it is better for the battery to do that in two 40% segments than a single 80% segment. Even better would be eight 10% segments (from 80% to 70% and recharge to 80% repeated eight times).

Some will argue that if you replace your phone every couple of years, the amount of capacity lost isn't worth the hassle and worry. I tend to disagree and try to only charge my phone to 80% unless I know my day is going to be long without access to a charger and want the extra life of a fully charged battery.

I use to root my Android phone and used a program that would literally shut off the charging at 80%. This was the best solution because it meant that while the phone was plugged in, but at 80% capacity, the battery was effectively disconnected from the charging circuit and the phone was being 100% powered by the plug. This helps extend the life of the battery even longer and does away with any long term effects of keeping the phone plugged in.

I have not rooted my latest phone (a Pixel 6 which I've had almost a year now), so I have to use a non-root app for this. It cannot change the charging characteristics without root, so it is basically a notification app only. The phone vibrates and notifies me when the charge gets to 80% (and every couple of minutes after that), but I have to physically remove the phone from the charge or it will continue to charge up to 100%. While I do try to remove the phone from the charger at 80%, I don't loose any sleep over it if I cannot.

With iOS 13 and later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your iPhone uses on-device machine learning to learn your daily charging routine so that Optimized Battery Charging activates only when your iPhone predicts it will be connected to a charger for an extended period of time.

Doesn't Android do something similar?

Craig

iOS does have optimized battery charging, but its not perfect. I would suggest the app I use called "Battery." Its free and you can set any battery level, and at that level an alarm goes off. With the built-in "shortcuts" app you can automate it so when you charge your phone, it launches automatically. It runs on the Apple Watch, also.

Now downsides, it doesn't stop charging, it just alarms, so you have to be around to pull the plug. We charge our phones and watches each morning. Works great.

Where did people ever get this over 80% charging shortens the life of a LioN battery? Has anybody ever seen testing to prove this or is this just another global scam somebody started for the glory of seeing their product up in lights?

We always leave our phones in a charging cradle (induction) and the phones smart circuitry fast charges and slow charges at the rate they know best. LioN batteries are always not in bad shape when we throw them in the garbage after about the usual 5 years. We seldom run the batteries below 70-80% though and in my book that is limiting the wear and tear of the constant charge/discharge cycle. That is what ages the chemistry, not sitting on a charger at 100% charge and not drawing more than a few microAmperes.

Where did people ever get this over 80% charging shortens the life of a LioN battery? Has anybody ever seen testing to prove this or is this just another global scam somebody started for the glory of seeing their product up in lights?

There is plenty of scientific data to back it up....

Easy to read explanations: https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries
Hard to read explanations: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452304/

There is plenty of scientific data to back it up....

Easy to read explanations: https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries
Hard to read explanations: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452304/
Thanks!
However, I don't see so much of a capacity degradation except for the less usage factor, which has always been typical for all battery chemistries. Loss of capacity has been related to the amount of usage during each cycle. IOW: If you only use your batteries at 50% of capacity, it can double the cycle availability.

I do see some effects that would indicate the above factor is not completely proportional to the reduced cycle depth so there does seem to be some benefit.

Good thing is we will get to see better data from eVehicals over longer periods and sample sizes.

I've been limiting charging this way for years. My batteries tend to outlast my phones (usually Google hardware). I use Tasker to notify me when it hits 80%, and I can turn off power to the charger via Home Assistant if needed (Z-Wave module recently died, so I don't have it working right now), no root access needed. I do wish more Android phones offered this feature, even my laptops offer this feature now.

I haven't tried tasker but heard it's handy for lots of things.
Tasker is great. It can do just about anything. The hard part is sometimes is even thinking about situations were Tasker can help (which is pretty much anything that is repetitive in nature or anything that you want to automate). Honestly I am just scratching the surface with what it can do.....

Here are some of the things I use it for:
- turning my phone to vibrate when three conditions are met: I am at church, it's Sunday, from 10:30am-12noon. It turns the ringer on when any of those conditions are no longer met.
- turning my media audio levels up or down with certain events. Up to 100% when getting in my car and down to 60% when exiting. Down to 10% when playing a game or opening social media apps and then back again when they close.
- for several apps that need to connect to my home network (SageTV, BlueIris, CQC viewer, etc) - If I am not on my home network, it will start my VPN service, waiting a couple of seconds for it to connect, and then open the applicable app. When I move away from using the app, it automatically closes the VPN service.

These are the type of things that tasker excels at. I could do all of these things manually, but having them automatically change is really nice.

Back