Premise Setting up z-wave module in Premise

Motorola Premise

mhilbush

I'm new to this forum and to Premise. I have a Z-wave installation, so I thought I would give Premise and the Z-wave module a test drive. I read the entire Z-wave post a few posts down, and it looks like the Z-wave module has come a long way in the last several months! Good to see open, collaborative work!

I had trouble installing Premise on 64-bit Windows 7; however, I was able to install it in a 32-bit XP virtual instance running on 7. So far so good.

I imported the Z-wave module, and added it under Custom Devices. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to tell the Z-wave module on which com port to find the RZCOP. I can see ViziaRF under Custom Devices, and I can see two COM ports under Serial Devices. But, how do I tell ViziaRF which COM port to use? I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

While I'm at it, I have another related question about the Z-wave module. I have a Hawking HDRS1 Door/Window Sensor, which I have connected to an outdoor PIR. Does the driver support this Hawking device? It's the same device as the Everspring SM103. Since I don't have permission to post links yet, you can find the doc for this device by googling for the terms sm103 manual.

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Premise forum!

It sounds like you have found the following download. The final version of the viziaRF driver is linked below, but it's called "ViziaRF_Final_Post.zip." It sounds like you downloaded this one...

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...ost&id=3304

You are correct, there is a bug in installing Premise under Vista or Windows 7. If you search the forum here there is a work around that still results in the error during installation, but all components seem to install correctly and many of us have used Premise on Vista 32 and 64 bit. I've switched to XP 32 bit so I can use the MS-SAPI driver that Rob Burn created.

I imported the Z-wave module, and added it under Custom Devices. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to tell the Z-wave module on which com port to find the RZCOP. I can see ViziaRF under Custom Devices, and I can see two COM ports under Serial Devices. But, how do I tell ViziaRF which COM port to use? I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

I would just pick a port on the back of the PC to plug the RZC0P into. To find out which port is the correct one, the easiest thing to do is try one of the two ports you have and do these steps.

1. Include the RZC0P/VRC0P into the zwave network and updated (you must "update secondary controller" too). I believe you need to either use the ControlThink stick to do this or a Leviton handheld controller.

2. Select one of the two ports for the RZC0P and toggle "Discover Devices." If you picked the right port, the switches/dimmers are automatically added ( you must have updated the secondary controller first though). If you picked the wrong port, no devices will be discovered. You should then delete the custom device ViziaRF object, re-add it under custom devices then pick the other port. Then reclick discover devices.

3. You can also turn some lights on/off with Port Spy open and you should see ascii strings in Port Spy if this is the correct port. If not, set the port option to the other port and repeat.

While I'm at it, I have another related question about the Z-wave module. I have a Hawking HDRS1 Door/Window Sensor, which I have connected to an outdoor PIR. Does the driver support this Hawking device? It's the same device as the Everspring SM103. Since I don't have permission to post links yet, you can find the doc for this device by googling for the terms sm103 manual.

We never finished adding support for PIR and door sensors as the Leviton protocol document didn't cover the protocol for a PIR or door sensor. However, if you have one, it would be very easy to add the support by observing the ascii strings sent from the RZC0P using Port Spy (found under Premise Builder). 123 already has the motion sensor class 90% designed, all that is missing is the protocol portion. Option 2 is you can wait until I get one of these devices (which will be the next time I move in a year or so) and I'll add support for the sensor. I do believe it is 100% possible to use the a door/motion sensor with the RZC0P. We can discuss this issue further after you get the switches/dimmers working and can post/email documentation for the sensor. :)

... how to tell the Z-wave module on which com port to find the RZCOP ...

All Module-based drivers (like the ViziaRF z-wave driver), that communicate via a serial-port, use Premise's Serial Communication service. For example, I've written a CallerID driver that communicates with an analog modem (connected to a serial-port).

The attached image shows that the CallerID driver's "Network" property, found in its Serial Communication section, is set to COM12. In your case, you'd set the ViziaRF's Network property to the COM port that has the RZC0P device.

Regarding the HRDS1's command codes, "garylm" has posted a lot of material for this device on zwaveworld's forum in this post. With some effort, the ViziaRF driver can be enhanced to support this device.

Attachments

• SerialPort.png
    SerialPort.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 54
In your case, you'd set the ViziaRF's Network property to the COM port that has the RZC0P device.
Yes, I see it in the ViziaRF's property list. I had looked at the properties early on, but had overlooked the "Network" property. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

The final version of the viziaRF driver is linked below, but it's called "ViziaRF_Final_Post.zip." It sounds like you downloaded this one...
Yes, perfect. This is the version I installed.

2. Select one of the two ports for the RZC0P and toggle "Discover Devices." If you picked the right port, the switches/dimmers are automatically added ( you must have updated the secondary controller first though). If you picked the wrong port, no devices will be discovered. You should then delete the custom device ViziaRF object, re-add it under custom devices then pick the other port. Then reclick discover devices.
This seems simple enough. It'll be a few days before I can get back to this. I'll post questions if I run into trouble, but this seems very straightforward.

However, if you have one, it would be very easy to add the support by observing the ascii strings sent from the RZC0P using Port Spy (found under Premise Builder).
Excellent! I'll do this once I get things up and running.

Thanks for all the help.

However, if you have one, it would be very easy to add the support by observing the ascii strings sent from the RZC0P using Port Spy (found under Premise Builder).
I realize this next question is off-topic for this forum, but it seems like some of you know the RZCOP interface pretty well. I'm trying to use the RZCOP to set a device's configuration parameter, and I am hoping that this is possible using the RZCOP. The device in question is node 17 on my z-wave network. I need to set configuration parameter 2 to the 1-byte value of 120. Can someone give me some guidance on how to do this using the RZCOP?

Thanks!

I don't remember seeing anything called "set configuration" in the RZC0P documentation. However, if you call Leviton support, they'll forward your question to an engineer. They did this once for me.

What device (type and model) is node 17?

Dears,

I am starting up with z-wave in Premise, I have a USB Z-Stick S2 from Aeon Labs.
Do you know if there is a driver for Premise to work with Z-Stick 2.
Can you advise how to proceed.

Thanks!

You'll have to purchase a VRC0P and add it as a secondary controller. I would wait a few months for the new version of the VRC0P though that will support locks. Adding the Aeon Stick would be a large project, but the source code for the VRC0P is posted here if you want to modify it...

I had trouble installing Premise on 64-bit Windows 7; however, I was able to install it in a 32-bit XP virtual instance running on 7. So far so good.
Did the server start up on boot, or did you have to manually start up something to get the 32-bit XP virtual instance running?

Do you have any idea if IPX is listed as an available network protocol within the virtual instance?

Did the server start up on boot, or did you have to manually start up something to get the 32-bit XP virtual instance running?
I had to run the XP instance manually -- not sure if the virtual instance can be made to start at boot time. In the end, I uninstalled Premise from the virtual instance, as I got it running successfully on 64-bit Windows 7.

Do you have any idea if IPX is listed as an available network protocol within the virtual instance?
It's not installed by default, but I can see it as an available option under Network Properties.

That's good news! Some where on here there's a thread that shows how to install Premise under Vista and Windows 7. The same trick works fine under Windows 7 Premium 32 bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit; I've used Premise on both of these.

I've purchased two sensors...SM103 and HSM02...I've gotten Premise to recognize them both, but after that it/they seem dead. No updates, battery levels, etc. I can hear the 'click' when the magnet is moved away, but nothing is reflected in the builder.

Has anyone installed one of these devices B) or have steps to get them to work?

One other issue I ran into on the ZWave module - (or maybe I haven't paid attention)
I have VRI06-LXs - I see them toggle the 'LocallyManipulated' property, and increment the counter, but it doesn't reflect the true powerstate (or any powerstate at all)

Am I missing something ?

I've purchased two sensors...SM103 and HSM02...I've gotten Premise to recognize them both, but after that it/they seem dead. No updates, battery levels, etc. I can hear the 'click' when the magnet is moved away, but nothing is reflected in the builder.

Has anyone installed one of these devices B) or have steps to get them to work?

I have several of these devices in my network. It sounds like you've successfully added them into your zwave network, updated the VRC0P, then rediscovered devices? If you did all that, then the sensors should appear in Builder in the list of zwave devices. It would be under Devices.Custom Devices.VizaRF.Devices and would show up as a BinarySensor device. Can you confirm that this is the case?

These battery-powered devices wake up every 4 hours by default. When they wake up, they send a WAKE_UP command class, then remain awake for a short time (~10 seconds). Upon receiving the first WAKE_UP, the zwave driver interrogates the device to determine what type of device it is. If it is properly configured, you should be able to see the Manufacturer, Product Type, Product ID, and other values in the Properties window.

Do you know how to use DebugView? If so, I can walk you through how to put the zwave driver in debug mode to see what's going on.

Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 6.25.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 6.25.32 PM.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, MarkH. I finally got the sm103 to work. The HSM02 might be dead, unless you know how to set it to'new'. I should get the blinking LED every two seconds or so - nothing, although it does blink if I pull the magnet away. I took the battery out for 4-5 hours, thinking it would lose memory; apparently not.

Will the Vizia module support HSM02?

Back