Sexy hard drive - Place a window on the lid to see

robotman

Well, we have seen this before - or have we? This project is not unique in terms of mounting a viewing window on top of the hard drive, but what makes this project stand out is the detail of it and the full description on how you should actually do it. And it comes with thirteen highres pictures. Not to speak of the end result. Wow!!!

Very nice end result! And oh, did I mention that this hard drive is fully functional after the surgery?

Read the full article here

What about the spec of dust that gets on the plates. And how often do you watch your plates spin?

Who in the world sits and looks at a hard drive :huh:
Do these type jobs pay well? ;)

Rupp said:
Who in the world sits and looks at a hard drive ;)
Oh, I do.

I watch carefully during writes to make sure the ones and zeros are being evenly distributed. If you write too many ones toward one side of the platter, it throws off the balance and can cause your drive to vibrate.

I also like to verify visually that the CRCs are all correct.

rocco said:
Rupp said:
Who in the world sits and looks at a hard drive ;)
Oh, I do.

I watch carefully during writes to make sure the ones and zeros are being evenly distributed. If you write too many ones toward one side of the platter, it throws off the balance and can cause your drive to vibrate.

I also like to verify visually that the CRCs are all correct.
Yea, I hate it when that happens. I tried to take my hard disk platter down to my tire store to get it balanced when that happens, but they handle it to roughly and knock mostly the 1's off the disk. Luckily I usually carry a "bit basket" and sweep them up and place them back in that.

Back