[Blogs] If the shoe fits - Changing Gears with Virtualization

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
So I got to work over the weekend with my virtual server. I ghosted my install of Server 2003 and installed ESXi server to start the virtualization process as I described in my last post. I was able to pass through the hardware I needed to for each of the guest installs, but I was unable to get ESXi server to recognize my onboard RAID controller. I had planned on putting all the Virtual hard drives on my Raid drive. I tried and tried but was unable to find a driver that ESXi would take and recognize it, so I just moved on. I would just install the virtual drives to the local drive and worry about space later. Hard drives are cheap, right?

Well, I popped in my Server 2003 disk and started the setup process. Everything was going great, but then Windows told me it was unable to detect any hard drives that I could install to. Not even the virtual drive I had created and assigned on the local drive. Interesting.

After a couple of hours troubleshooting why Server 2003 couldn't find it, I thought, I'll just install server 2008 to avoid the problem and upgrade at the same time. Well, Server 2008 showed the same problem. It is probably something I am doing, or not configuring correctly, but saturday night I thought this issue combined with a rumor I heard at work that we will be launching our virtualization project on Hyper-V later this year changed my mind and I decided to try Server 2008 with Hyper-V. This would also allow me to avoid getting a NAS because I could just install a virtual file server to handle the load. I installed Server 2008 Core, simply because that was what was recommended for Hyper-V, but that was a mistake. Having to do everything by command line lead to a bunch of googleing.

Back to the drawing board. I ghosted Server 2008 Core and went about installing Server 2008 R2 Full. I got it all installed, configured and updated, when my wife wanted access to some files that would have been contained on the Server 2003 Image. Sigh. I ghosted my Server 2008 image, re-applied my server 2003 image, got her the files, then it was time for bed.

So at the end of the weekend, I started with an installation of Server 2003, and after 2 full days of tinkering, i ended up with the EXACT SAME installation of Server 2003. Productive?

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back