Signup for Next Intro to HA Seminar

IVB

Next webinar will be 5/4, 6:30pm PST-8:30pm PST. There might be some overseas folks joining, so we'll be using either TeamSpeak or an Asterisk server for the audioportion. If there's folks that don't have computer headsets & mics, we'll also use the regular conference call #.

Signup for this one will be slightly different as the gotowebinar trial expired, so we'll fall back to gotomeeting as it was easier to use anyhow. Please PM me with your name, email address, and whether you currently own CQC or are just interested in learning more about it. I'll send out the logistics over email 24 hours before the blessed event.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the "Intro to HA using CQC & the Elk Automation Panel" course.

This online gotomeeting & teleconference is designed to be a 120 minute overview as to how to perform HA & HT using CQC and the Elk automation panel. It is targeted to the newbie who wants to know how to do HA. It is not recorded as it generally sucks to try and synch up the audio teleconference and the video, besides it creates a whopping big file.

There is a dialin phone # and listening is critical as that's where the information is disseminated.

There is no "HA 201" as that's what our monthly user group webex's are designed to be.

Requested but not mandatory prep
1) Pre-read this powerpoint PDF, it's what I'll use during the first 20-30 mins of the session.
2) As many of the tutorial videos as you can stand. There's 24 of them now, ideally watch all 4 of the installation ones and the first 2 of the action, event, and graphical interface sections. That's 10 total.

Agenda
This online gotomeeting & teleconference is designed to be a 120 minute overview as to how to perform HA & HT using CQC and the Elk automation panel. It is targeted to the newbie who wants to know how to do HA.

There is a dialin phone # and listening is critical as that's where the information is disseminated. We're also setting up a PC connection capability so our overseas brethren can join us without the exhorbitant callin fees.

The draft agenda is as follows:

1) Overview of what I did, why I did it, and how it helped. 5mins
2) CQC Overview & Architecture 5min
2) How to physically hook devices up to an HTPC for control - 5mins
3) How to tell CQC you have devices connected, and use it to easily create and render a screen to control them in realtime - 45mins
4) How to setup ElkRP to monitor your devices 15mins
5) How to use CQC's event manager and the Elk together to perform the following: 15mins
5a) scheduled tasks (i.e., irrigation, turn off all devices at midnight)
5b) triggered tasks (i.e., turn off all devices when you ArmAway the Elk. turn on the light when you open the closet door)

That's 90 minutes of content. The remaining 30 minutes is intentionally unallocated as questions in various places take up the rest of the time.

See you there!

:) yes i contacted you about this, and am still v intrested, although i definatly cannot do the fri one. should be alright for the sun one although, the day before is my stag party. so not sure what state i will be in, and can't guarantee i will make it up in time, even at 1.30pm GMT. :eek:

gadzooks. Well keep in mind that at Saturday 8:30am PST is the monthly CQC User Group Webex, the first 30 minutes are the abbreviated version of that (no Elk overview, no serious details). That could start getting your mind around it.

I might be able to defer to the following weekend, but will you be on your honeymoon? (assuming that's the next step after a stag party...)

Hi as a newbie I'd like to find out how these meetings work. Are they teleconferences or some physical location?

If it's a teleconference I'm very interested.

they're webinars. That means you login to a particular link that we'll send, and also call into a teleconference. I explain everything over the phone, but you can watch over the internet live at my PC so you follow along.

It's proven highly effective in exchanging information. Not just for the newbies either, jonathan (the dude who wrote the insteon driver) walked me live through his setup of some advanced stuff, much easier to follow as I could see where he was going to do what.

We do both the "Intro to HA" webinars for newbies as well as monthly user group meetings for the more seasoned folks.

the fri after would be perfect as i have the day off work, however if there are others wanting it on a different day, maybe the origional date would be best. as i am sure i will catch it soon, if this is a regular thing.

p.s. getting married the weekend after stag night, 5th of may. wish me luck :p

Good luck chevy!! Be sure your future misses will approve of your home automation hobby.

My wife looks at me strangely when I start playing with home security / home automation stuff. :p

technerd - can you do the Friday after? I'm actually taking the whole week off, so i'm flexible on timing, but let's start with 6:30pm PST and see who can attend then.

IVB - yes I can. I don't have anything planned that far out so I'm looking forward to it.

Let me know once you have the date committed and I'll put it on my calendar.

Thanks!!

Ok, it's inked. 5/4 6:30pm PST-8:30pm PST.

Also updated first post above with the agenda and the requested pre-read.

dont think i can make this one, tried rearranging things but the missis said it would cost too much for a different day :D so looks like it will have too be the next one, cheers chevy

Here's who i've got on the list so far, anybody I missed? Login details to be distributed shortly, please note that this is both online and over the phone.

Attendees:
(from avsforum)
1) legacyvbc
2) RichTJ99
3) wizzer

(from CT)
4) technerd
5) ctay
6) tbully

(from CQC)
7) aedile
8) smithb39