Simply Automated Input Output 32

I'm stumped and looking for help. I've read other posts here about setting up the I/O 32 with Upstart for a garage door application. I'm running an Omnipro II. Receive Channel 1 works fine and I have a keyfob automation routine to arm, flash exterior lights and close the garage door as well as another one to disarm, flash lights at a different rate and open the garage door. I've also got a button programmed to open and close the garage door and that works fine in Snaplink and Haiku. 

What I can't figure out is how to get the transmit part of the equation into the game. I installed a floor sensor and wired it into input 3 of the I/O 32. The I/O 32 flashes when the magnet on the garage door leaves or comes into contact with the reed switch on the floor, so it appears to be working. The open event is Garage Door Open and the closed event is Garage Door Closed, and both are set with a command of Activate in Upstart. Both have links. I'd like to be able to see the status of the door in Haiku and Snaplink and write a routine so that if the door has been up for greater than 5 minutes, it will close.

OK, need some more info.

What is  "Receive Channel 1"?  Is that an HAI wireless receiver?

Do you have a relay controlled by the Omni that opens and closes the garage door?
Or do you want to use one of the relays in the I/O module to operate the door?

Is the contact wired into terminals 15 and 16?

You say the LEDs flash, do you have it set to momentary mode?

Is the door contact also monitored by the Omni?

Do you see the UPB links being transmitted in the UpStart log?

Thanks for the reply. The I/O 32 is a Simply Automated UPB product, more formally the UMI-32-W. The description from their website:  "Model UMI is a plug-in module designed to sense the status of low-voltage and contact closure inputs and transmit scene-links to control high voltage loads such as lights, gates and more. It can receive scene-links and control the operation of low-power actuators." 

The UMI shows up in Upstart as I/O 32 with an icon that looks like the product. When you click on the icon, a screen pops up with the following tabs: ID, Receive Ch1, Receive Ch2,Transmit Components, Options, Advanced, Communications Test. Receive Ch1 is where I have wired to the contacts (1&2 on UMI 32 W) from the garage door opener. Clicking on Receive Ch1, I have named the first link, 'Open Close Garage.' In the 'Options' tab, I have checked the box, 'Momentary mode enable channel 1.' The description in the tab says this closes the circuit and opens it again approximately one second later, which mimics the garage door switch on the wall. This part is working fine in my HAI Omnipro II. I have a HAI keyfob programmed as follows, with a similar program to disarm and open the door. 

2. WHEN Fob 1 Lock NOT READY
THEN PROGRAM ARM AWAY
THEN Exterior Garage Light BLINK (0.50 Sec) FOR 5 SECONDS
THEN Garage Door Open / Close ON

I do not have a separate relay controlled by the Omni to open and close the door; the relay in the UMI 32 W is acting to open and close the door. 

The contact for the sensor circuit is wired into terminals 15 & 16.

The LEDs flashed on the UMI 32 when the magnet is moved off or comes into contact with the sensor. I tested the sensor separately before screwing it into the garage floor. They also flash when the garage door is opening or closing. (Receive Ch1 circuit is being momentarily closed to open or close the garage door.)  There is no 'momentary mode' for the transmit components. They should be transmitting a condition, open or closed, rather than performing an action, close circuit for one second and reset to open. The screen for the Transmit Components shows Inputs 1, 2 & 3. In my case, I'm using Input 3 and the mode is Custom Input, which allows 'selecting the open and close actions.' I have named the open and closed events as links 'Garage Door Open' and 'Garage Door Closed' and the command for both is selected as 'Activate.' In the link name table, these are called Garage Door Close and Garage Door Open. Everything looks ok in the link table. The link for the Receive Ch1 circuit has a receive arrow and the component is listed as Channel 1 Closed. The links for the sensor have transmit arrows and components described as IOM input open or closed, respectively.   

I'm thinking the door contact / sensor is monitored by the Omni, but I just don't know how. This is essentially the same switch as any of the Zone sensors, like doors and windows that have a magnetic switch. In this case, any time one of these circuits is open, the status in Haiku or Snaplink shows it and I can write routines in PC Access to perform other functions. (If front door open, turn on hall light for five minutes.) I feel like I'm missing something really basic. I'm able to open or close the door from anywhere with Snaplink, but since garage doors can stick and go back up again, I'd like that secondary confirmation that the door is physically closed from the sensor.

I have not looked at the Upstart log, but will do so later today. 

The Omni won't see it as a zone - it'll see it as a link that's either activated or deactivated - it'll basically look like a light that's on or off.  You can probably program the HAI to do something more with that once it sees the status change - but by default that's how it shows by default.

I've got that part. It is set up as a link, just the same as Receive Ch1 that opens or closes the garage door, but the status of the link or unit for both door open and door closed is always on. I had read on another post here to set the transmit input command to activate, but I'm wondering if this needs to be set to something else like Snap or feedback or no command. The Receive Ch1 link is set to 'Open Close Garage' with the level selected as 'Close' and the rate as 'Snap.' With the Momentary Mode selected in Options, I think that means it snaps closed and stays closed momentarily and then opens again. I probably have to get the UPB PIM hooked back up to my PC and try some of the other transmit options.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Channel 1 of the IO module.

I have 3 IO modules.

The Omni is not connected to the GDO at all. Like Work2Play stated, the Omni is only seeing links.

The same link opens and closes the GDO. You may want to wire the GDO to Channel 2 as well, and use channel 1 to open and channel 2 to close. The ultimate result will be the same as using a single channel, but you can control each independently with its own link which may be easier to code.

As for "snap", that setting is immaterial for the relay. It can only snap on or off, no dimming capable.

What you need to do is set up a flag as a timer.

When you send the close garage command, start the timer for 5 minutes.
If you receive the link of the door closed inside five minutes, SET the timer to 0 to turn it off without action.
If the timer expires and the link has not been received, re initiate the close sequence.

There is a pitfall in using the IO module without the door contact being wired to the Omni.
The IO module will only transmit the open or close links when those events occur.
I don't think you can poll the status of one of its zones reliably (I'll test this).
So it's very difficult to check the status of the door. If something is blocking the door from closing it will be in some intermediate condition, not readily or easily determined by the panel. It doesn't monitor the IO module.

If you can check status of the IO channels, you'll have to send a status request to update it, the Omni won't automatically do it.

After testing the IO Module

The IO module is a multi-channel device, like the US22-40. 
The Omni can't poll the status of it because it doesn't send or understand the extended code to break out the individual channels.
The multi-channel devices use an additional register in the serial comms protocol to address the individual channels.

You can poll the status in UpStart.
It returns the status of all 5 channels.
The numeric replies are in a set of two digit.
The first digit is for the inputs and the second digit is for the outputs.
The digits change value depending on the combined status of the inputs or out puts.

i.e. 0 0; 2 3; 0 1; etc.

For example - with the outputs
If both channels are off the result is 0
If channel 1 is on and channel 2 is off the result is 1
If channel 1 is off and channel 2 is on the result is 2
If both channels are on the result is 3

The Omni has no way of deciphering this status.

So when using the IO module in this application, you are relying solely on the links it transmits for information.
And those links ONLY transmit when a change occurs.

I am using the same UMI-32's to control both my garage doors (using 1 UMI-32) and I have one controlling my gate. My garage doors I have magnetic sensors wired directly to my Omni to give me the status of the doors (zone).  For my gate, I did something similar to what you are trying to do. 

I have the momentary contacts wired to Output 1 (pin 1 and 2) and I have the open/close sense wires tapped into pin 9 and 10.  The gate controller just shorts the two together much the same as your garage door sensors.

In UpStart I created links to open and close and a link that I assigned to Input 2 under the Transmit Component tab.  I set the input to a N.C. Input (under Mode) and assigned the link I created for open/close status under Link Name.

In my Omni, under the Scenes/UPB Links under the corresponding link number  I assigned in UpStart, I named the link, making it available for Programs.

Sounds to me like you could do the same thing with you garage doors.  As suggested by Desert_AIP, you may need to verify the link is sending in UpStart by looking at the log file.  It took me a bit of trial and error to get mine working but it hasn't missed a beat since getting it set up.

Thanks, I have most of what you discussed done, but the devil is in the details and the documentation on Transmit Components settings is nowhere to be found. (I guess it's supposed to be intuitive.) I was looking at another post 'Gas fireplace with SA UMI-32 I/O and HAI OPII - Help' with similar issues. I think I need to change the input mode to NC from Custom and Activate, which I read about in another post. There's also some additional discussion in the fireplace discussion about changing the transmission to uni packet. 

I certainly get the advantage of having a hardwired zone directly into the OPII, but the panel is on the third floor making it impractical. I don't think checking that the sensor is closed will be that big a deal. Most of the time we are here. This is more about opening it and disarming when we are away and then confirming it has closed.  

Mine is set to Link Packet and Multi-Packet (4 attempts).  What link numbers are you using?  I also learned somewhere that many of the link numbers are reserved for room usage.  I moved my link numbers up in the 200 range (I'm using 232 specifically).

Thanks, I'll try these out today. I was using a low number for the link because somehow, I ended up with links in the 190s that said they were Reserved for HLC House switch buttons. This hasn't impacted the functioning of the link to open and close the garage door though which is still set on link 196. Before I had to pull away, I moved the wires from 15-16 to 8-9. Shouldn't have made a difference, but I figured a fresh start was a good idea I followed your directions. No problem seeing the switch engage and disengage in the Upstart event log. Then, I wrote a two line routine in PC Access that if the link was activated, turn on a UPB light. It seemed to work with mixed results, but that's when I had to stop for the day. Based on my progress or lack thereof and the comments from Desert_AIP, a zone has the advantage of continuous monitoring, whereas a link only reports a change, I may look at a different option. I have a hardwired garage window that is its own zone and may look at using this for the garage sensor and then put a wireless zone on the window. 

Thanks for all the input. I've got it working with two simple automation programs as a test.  ON is when the door is open and OFF is when it is closed. 

WHEN Garage Sensor NC ON     THEN Kitchen Sink Ceiling Light ON FOR 1 MINUTE
WHEN Garage Sensor NC OFF   THEN Dining Room Chandelier ON FOR 1 MINUTE

Now  I've got to work on the flag timer Desert_AIP wrote about. I have not been able to 'see' the status of the link in Snaplink, Haiku or PC Access for that matter. I can see Zone status. Is there a way to see link status? 

Good news. Glad you've made progress. For my installation, I actually ended up using the open/close status link for my gate to trigger a powered output on the OPii. I have a relay attached to the output that triggers an open/close condition on the relay. The open/close relay contacts are wired to a zone on the OPii that indicate if the zone is secure or not. Not pretty, but functional.

Even though I have it working, it sounds like a zone rather than a link is the way to go for this application. Probably a newbie question, but is there any difference between wired and wireless zones, besides the general superiority of wired. In other words is the programming and notification functionality basically the same and a zone is a zone, whether wired or wireless? I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a window in the garage that is wired. I already have wireless receiver set up for two keyfobs and I have plenty of spare wireless zones available. Am I really ahead by fishing through sheetrock for the window wires to use on the garage sensor and then putting a wireless zone on the window instead of making the garage sensor a wireless zone? 

There can be a slight delay with wireless.
You don't want to enable any more wireless zones than you are using (in increments of 16).
The controller steps through each one sequentially polling them.
If you enabled 64 zones, it will go through all 64 every loop, even if you only had a single wireless zone installed.
Batteries (relatively minor issue).

Back