Siren Loudness

I wanted to install a siren/speaker in my attic and connect it to Output 2. I wanted to do this so that my neighbors could hear my alarm. I installed an ELK-SP40, but that isn't loud enough. I can barely hear it when I am outside, next to my house. Would the Elk-45 work better for me? Perhaps I should just use an interior siren alarm instead. What do you guys have setup for sirens?

What all do you have hooked to output 2? Do you have any other sirens in the system?

I'm wondering if you are running into a max current problem. Output two has a minimum of four ohm load and one amp current capability.

Does the siren sound loud when you are in the attic?

Maybe something with a different frequency like a piezo alarm would penetrate to the outside better. I use piezo alarms from Worthingtons and they don't draw a lot of current and have more of a "high pitch" sound.

EDIT: Found the POST I did on the piezos.

Try placing the speaker connected to Output 2 on top of the ventilator holes at the eve of the roof if you have them. You sound will get out better if there is some holes to get out through.

I have 2 speakers connected to Output1, but only the Elk-SP40 to Output2. As a test, I disconnect all the speakers, but left the SP40 connected. It was loud in my wiring closet, but not loud enough to make me want to leave the room. I would almost say, the compact echo speakers were louder. I might have to try the piezos.

I just recieved some of the piezos that BSR mentioned. I also have some of the Elk sirens (73, 73 and RT1). To be honest, I think the piezo seems louder to me; and you sure can't beat the price. Just my 2 cents.

Spanky said:
Try placing the speaker connected to Output 2 on top of the ventilator holes at the eve of the roof if you have them. You sound will get out better if there is some holes to get out through.
This is the way mine is setup (was done that way by alarm installers 15 yrs ago) and it works fine. I suggested this in another thread and another opinion was to make the siren visible to intruders but high out of reach using the Elk stainless enclosure outdoors.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Maybe something with a different frequency like a piezo alarm would penetrate to the outside better. I use piezo alarms from Worthingtons and they don't draw a lot of current and have more of a "high pitch" sound.

EDIT: Found the POST I did on the piezos.
I picked up piezo (MPI-47C Flush Mount), but it's not working well. It is louder than the ELK-SP40, but it doesn't stop making noise. When output is not active, the piezo is still active, just at a very low volume. I have output 2 set for voltage. It seems that when output 2 is not active, some amount of voltage is on the wire, so the piezo is always active. Anyone know what is going on?

Output 2 is a supervised output for line cut, therefore there is a small amount of current flowing through it for supervision. Put a 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in parallel with the Output 2 terminals which will lower the voltage and make the piezo stop working. Piezos can operate on a very small current is why you still hear it.

Since each Piezo draws such a small amount of current, can I use multiple piezos in series or parallel? How many would it take to lower the voltage enough keep them all in an idle state?

Back