Skylight Shades

Hi All,

I just bought a house with a pair of older velux skylights in the master bedroom, built around 1999. I want to add blackout blinds or shades to them, controlled via homeseer. I would even settle for a stand alone remote operated system and possibly control it via an IR blaster in the future. Running wires to the position, while not impossible, may be difficult and I would prefer battery or solar powered options.

Velux does have a nice solar powered option but I talked to the folks at Velux and unfortunately for that model year their automated blinds are not available, I can only get manual blinds which I would operate via a long extension pole.

I did try searching the forum and I have found some posts on prewiring for skylights but I can not seem to find anything on folks that have already wired up some skylight shades or blinds to their systems.

Has anyone installed automated blackout skylight blinds or shades and if so do you have any recommendations on manufacturers?

Thanks

Hi All,

I just bought a house with a pair of older velux skylights in the master bedroom, built around 1999. I want to add blackout blinds or shades to them, controlled via homeseer. I would even settle for a stand alone remote operated system and possibly control it via an IR blaster in the future. Running wires to the position, while not impossible, may be difficult and I would prefer battery or solar powered options.

Velux does have a nice solar powered option but I talked to the folks at Velux and unfortunately for that model year their automated blinds are not available, I can only get manual blinds which I would operate via a long extension pole.

I did try searching the forum and I have found some posts on prewiring for skylights but I can not seem to find anything on folks that have already wired up some skylight shades or blinds to their systems.

Has anyone installed automated blackout skylight blinds or shades and if so do you have any recommendations on manufacturers?

Thanks

Hi Johnboy,

I'm not all that familiar with the Velux stuff, but I've done motorized skylights in the past. I'd recommend stuff from Silent Gliss, but unfortunately they closed up shop a few weeks ago and will be tough to find in the US. Consider looking at a company called Goelst America. They have nice quiet skylight systems that can be controlled using a handheld remote. This would have to be powered though.

For a battery operated solution, remember the skylight shade must be quite small. The battery can't handle big torque. Hunter Douglas have some and also look into a brand called Skyview by a company called Wilco.

Good luck!

Lutron qs wireless?

Hi All,

Thanks

Hi Johnboy,

I'm not all that familiar with the Velux stuff, but I've done motorized skylights in the past. I'd recommend stuff from Silent Gliss, but unfortunately they closed up shop a few weeks ago and will be tough to find in the US. Consider looking at a company called Goelst America. They have nice quiet skylight systems that can be controlled using a handheld remote. This would have to be powered though.

For a battery operated solution, remember the skylight shade must be quite small. The battery can't handle big torque. Hunter Douglas have some and also look into a brand called Skyview by a company called Wilco.

Good luck!

Hi, here's a skylight blind project we did with our motors:

http://rollertrol.co...zed-retractable

You can do it with a stand-alone remote, and later integrate it into our web controlled system and use your phone, tablet or PC:

http://rollertrol.com/vera-and-veralite-wifi-controller-for-blinds-or-shades

We also have window/skylight openers.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com/

I see this is a 6/2010 thread so the responses are probably far too late for the OP. However, for the benefit of anyone still reading it in 2012, Hunter Douglas has continued to expand the PowerRise line. They now have a battery operated Skylight cellular shade that comes with IR and RF. They also sell a small RF module that can be operated with an appliance module with Z-Wave, UPB, Insteon, X-10, a cheap timer, or a wall switch. I use one with my Elve software with Z-Wave and it works great.

With this system, you can have it hooked to home automation and still use the standard Hunter hand held remote.

While you can find information on Hunter on-line, Hunter now sells only through local dealers, no on-line sales.

Back