smallest 24 port switches?

It wasn't even an originally requested feature, so I doubt you'd buy it for port mirroring - more the point was that they're very universal switches that, at least for me, have taken everything I've thrown at them.

If not for your form factor requirements, it sure sounds like you want an enterprise class managed switch - but they don't come in the form factor you want.  Only you can decide the tradeoffs you wish to make.

Yup here my 1/2 class C subnet (/25) is full these days with all kinds of devices. 

That said I am probably going over to a /24 subnet in the next few months here which will be a pita to do as I will need to touch every device. 

I do not really use DHCP much and the scope is tiny today. 

Today its sort of hard to predict what you will be putting on a network in the future.  Here I wired for much and put in chases for more. 

All of the network connections homerun to one/two areas / multiple patch panels in the house.

No matter the size of the scope, DHCP is really worth using.  Now, there are rare situations where if the devices come online and DHCP isn't running then they don't get addresses.  Thus, like DNS, DHCP is one of those really important things to keep running.  And thankfully most routers these days support assigning static DHCP leases.  Some are even intelligent enough to allow assigning address that are outside of the actual DHCP address pool.  This works even better as you're still free to create a static lease even if you configure the device not to use it.  You're essentially 'setting it aside' but keeping a record in the tables.  Win-win.

It's astounding to consider it's becoming likely that residential networks might not be effectively served with Class C subnets!  172.16.x.x beckons...  Or IPv6, but that's a whole other train wreck for installed equipment...

Some are even intelligent enough to allow assigning address that are outside of the actual DHCP address pool.

I have historically done this with my old Smoothwall and today with PFSense firewall for a "few" appliances; IE: like the HDHomerun boxes etc.
Thinking too that DD-WRT did this stuff a few years back.

I also keep an autonomous network for just wireless; different smaller subnet, /28 also with mostly static IPs and another tiny DHCP scope.  Different set of rules managed by the firewall to access internet and internal wired network.

Today though running software on Homeseer that scans then network(s) for the remote controlled by Homeseer devices (touchscreens) which are remote managed by the mothership.  The network scanning looks at the IP/MAC and DNS name.  I do customize the MAC addresses on a number of Linux devices (that is just me goofing some).  I also utilize WOL / Suspend on a few of the inwall touchscreens.  I can also configure the plugin/script to alert via message / TTS if a new device comes up on the network (either static or dynamic IP address).  There are other plugins/scripts which you can just look at your firewall syslogs and alert you of any issues (which is kind of a neato thing).  All this though really depends on if you want to or not automate or monitor your network stuff or a need to.

Goofing around a bit with the Almond stuff; that device is connected to another small internal network separated at the firewall with internet access.

The Digi, Lantronix, Quatech boxes are all assigned static IP addresses (even though they could use DHCP).  The IPs/DNS names are organized a bit to their function.

These days it's getting inconvenient to run wireless on a different subnet.  Lots of stuff wants to restrict it's interaction to the same subnet as either the wireless device or the device to which it wants to connect.  TV, DVR, amp, etc, they're all attempting to be 'friendly' by using MDns services.  And while there are dances you can go through to 'make things work' you run afoul of the software involved (on the devices) not actually working all that well even when the network's in perfect shape.

I've had more than my share of "Really?  Are you trying to be that clever AND still that stupid at the same time?" moments with some gear.  These are the kinds of headaches that often end up making networks less secure.  Because in a desperate attempt to make things work people start flailing off the filters... and forget to go back and re-enable them.

But this is all preachin' to the choir stuff...

Personally even though I have tablets and laptops and whatever on the wireless network; stuff related to automation is not wireless. 

It never has been for me; but that is me; and my own personal thing.

Its not really an issue to provide accesss to the wired networks from the wireless networks with the use of PFSense.

Historically here though have played with networking since it was available many years ago; but that was also because of work stuff. 

Personally it was always "what if I could do this at home?" stuff that came up.

Here never really have any issues with making things work (well relating to hardware / networking but not always to software).

No one is really saying you need to do stuff like this or even pay attention to devices on a network at home. 

Its more informational question and answer thing that I see here; nothing more or nothing less. (well and that CT is a place to go to and ask questions about this kind of stuff).

Heh, I know it's not nice to make fun of others, but here's perhaps what NOT to do with a can:
109_0910_text_small3.JPG

Back