Smart Interconnected Smoke Detector

snmhanson

I would like to install a smart smoke detector that will alert me if there is an event.  My hope is that I can find a detector that will replace one of my existing interconnected detectors so that if any of them go off the smart detector will be able to contact me.  I was thinking a Nest detector would work, but they are not interconnected via wire - only wireless.  Does anyone know of any detectors that will work for that?

Thanks,

Matt

With Nest Protects, you need to replace all existing units for them to be interconnected.  So that is probably out of the question.  All of mine are Nest Protects but I could use any standard smoke detector that connects to my alarm panel and have my HA system (which has access to my alarm panel) send me an alert.

I know that there are some sensors that listen for the smoke detector and then alert the panel.  You would need to figure out how to get an alert to you from the panel though.

A lot of the intelligent models are wire free (battery) but do have a 10 year battery.  I liked the Nest as they had wired (which I have) and battery.  You can mix and match whereas a lot of other brands, the wired requires the signal wire to alert the others and the battery obviously do not have that wire.  So that is a big miss from some of the other manufacturers.

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like there might not be much in the way of inline smart detectors.  I suppose I could get the Ring device that you install near a smoke alarm and then will alert you if it "hears" an alarm, but then I'm adding an additional variable to the equation.  And I'm trying to reduce clutter at our house, not add more devices to see and deal with.  At our previous house we had all of the regular electrician installed detectors, and then I also had a series of detectors connected to the security panel.  Was just too much going on there.  Just seems that there should be a basic inline detector that has some smart/communication features added to it.  I'll keep searching.

pvrfan said:
You might want to check if Google's axing of the 'Works with Nest' program has any impact:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/07/google-to-end-works-with-nest/?guccounter=1

Details seem to be limited at this point.

Craig

They are and they are not.  if you don't migrate your account, things stay as is.  Obviously companies are not going to be adding new devices to the program though.  Google changed their course as a lot of people complained.  I had the Nest thermostat and Protects integrated with my HA system.

What Google does with the partners like Kevo for locks, etc. is not currently known.  If something is being worked on or if it is just axed is not clear.

This does show the drawback of the cloud though.  Harmony (Logitech) recently went through this when they removed local access and then had to add it back in.

This may not help you much but there are Z-Wave battery operated smoke/CO detectors.  I placed two in my home (though I still have the original AC wired ones untouched).

Back