Smarthings is about to control & interact with my Elk M1 Gold. Help needed on execution.

Hey guys.  I recently switched from ISY to Smarthings and the experience has been awesome.  I currently have ST controlling a bunch of lights, thermostats and locks.  So over in the Smarthings Facebook page I've been reading about an opensource project called Konnected that allows you to essentially control and/or monitor relay closures and access all that within the smarthings app.

So here is my plan...

Use Elk sensors in ST..
Program the elk to close particular outputs when doors/windows open & connect Konnected to that output so that it senses the change and reports it to smarthings... - Real world application = Doors open for more than 2 minutes, stop heating or cooling that floor.  Or, Smarthings weather says that the temp & humidity outside are better than in the house, alexa says to open a window and once a window is open Smarthings turns on my whole house fan automatically and turns it off once the window closes.

Control Elk with ST..
Either using the integrated geofencing within Smarthings, arm the alarm automatically when we leave.  Or be able to arm/disarm from the app.  In this case, Konnected stated this on facebook:
konnected.io Yes, Konnected can be configured for outputs, but they're only capable of "binary" on/off output signals at this time. You can use it to control a switch or relay.

Will this work for me?  Would a regular zone be able to recognize what he states is a "binary" on/off output signal?

Here is the thing I'm talking about - $50 for 6 input/outputs - $100 for 18.
https://store.konnected.io

Thanks guys!

You mention the open source project, Konnected... and stated that it "allows you to essentially control and/or monitor relay closures and access all that within the smarthings app." 

So are you planning to purchase the Konnected DIO device with the intent that you will connect the various I/O ports with Elk I/O and trigger events accordingly or am I missing something? 

mikefromgeorgia said:
Control Elk with ST..
Either using the integrated geofencing within Smarthings, arm the alarm automatically when we leave.  Or be able to arm/disarm from the app.  In this case, Konnected stated this on facebook:
konnected.io Yes, Konnected can be configured for outputs, but they're only capable of "binary" on/off output signals at this time. You can use it to control a switch or relay.

Will this work for me?  Would a regular zone be able to recognize what he states is a "binary" on/off output signal?

You would need to have the Konnected output operate a relay, and then connect the relay's contacts to the M1's zone input.

drvnbysound said:
You mention the open source project, Konnected... and stated that it "allows you to essentially control and/or monitor relay closures and access all that within the smarthings app." 

So are you planning to purchase the Konnected DIO device with the intent that you will connect the various I/O ports with Elk I/O and trigger events accordingly or am I missing something? 

That is exactly what I was thinking.  Although the opensource project's goal is to completely replace all the crappy alarms out there and run logic with smarthings, they address the ability to utilize an existing alarm using relays.  So I'm simply trying to get the smarthings app to get access to pertinent elk sensors as well as have control over the system from the smarthings app.  

RAL said:
You would need to have the Konnected output operate a relay, and then connect the relay's contacts to the M1's zone input.

Gotcha.  So the statement that it's a binary on/off signal won't close a loop that can be monitored.  That makes sense.  Is there an elk relay board available.  If not, any suggestions? 

mikefromgeorgia said:
Gotcha.  So the statement that it's a binary on/off signal won't close a loop that can be monitored.  That makes sense.  Is there an elk relay board available.  If not, any suggestions? 

The Konnected board produces a 3.3V voltage output, which isn't compatible with the M1's zone input. The M! inputs actually produce a 12V voltage level. That prevents you from making a direct connection, and is why you need a relay in between to isolate them from each other.

The easy/safe approach would be to use the relay modules that Konnected recommends.  You also can find many other similar boards on eBay, including boards with multiple relays.  The thing to watch out for is whether the Konnected's power supply can handle the power load of more than a couple of relays, or whether you will need an aux power supply for the relay board.

Thanks RAL.  I hadn't searched there entire website apparently.  That makes sense now.  If there are any other problems you guys envision, please let me know.  

Reading into this, but if the OP already has an M1, why would a third party device be needed to report to the outside world? Isn't it just as easy and cheap via app and XEP?

Maybe I'm missing something

MikefromGeorgia,

Did you use the Elk module available with ISY? Very seamless integration between the two. No additional relays or hardware needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TH, I also have the isy.  Although it wasn't horrible, my experience since switching over to smarthings has been nothing short of stellar.  Everything is built in and seamless, especially the ios app.  The only thing remaining is linking up with the elk.  

mikefromgeorgia said:
TH, I also have the isy.  Although it wasn't horrible, my experience since switching over to smarthings has been nothing short of stellar.  Everything is built in and seamless, especially the ios app.  The only thing remaining is linking up with the elk.  
There is a great IOS APP for The elk called eKeypad.

Mike.

DELInstallations said:
Reading into this, but if the OP already has an M1, why would a third party device be needed to report to the outside world? Isn't it just as easy and cheap via app and XEP?

Maybe I'm missing something

mikefamig said:
There is a great IOS APP for The elk called eKeypad.

Mike.

I agree with both.... but neither address SmartThings integration. 

I personally never really valued SmartThings personally, as I utilized the Elk Zwave module for integration for lighting and deadbolts. However, I believe SmartThings adds things like Hue integration, Alexa, etc. so depending on your system goals it could certainly add value to a system. I think eKeypad does have hooks for Hue (for example), but it wouldn't necessarily control them via Elk based events. 

mikefromgeorgia, Did you complete your Smarthings integration of your ELK M1 Gold by utilizing Elk outputs into Konnect modules? I'd like to do the same thing with my system: "get the Smarthings app to get access to pertinent Elk sensors as well as have control over the system from the Smarthings app".

I've had my Elk system for about 8 years. I currently use eKey Pad for remote for access, and control/automate a number of Z Wave devices and Aprilaire thermostats. I'd like to start using Smartthing in combination with Alex to control lighting and others, but I don't want to lose the Elk foundation for security. I really liked what you proposed as a way to enable Smartthings, but also persevere Elk security. Did it work?
Thanks 

I am trying to connect Elk with Hubitat Elevation hub (very similiar to ST). Using an ESP 8266 to pull Elk info and then a driver to connect the 8266 to HE. So far I got all Elk info correctly talking to the 8266. Driver for the HE is still being worked on.

mikefromohio said:
mikefromgeorgia, Did you complete your Smarthings integration of your ELK M1 Gold by utilizing Elk outputs into Konnect modules? I'd like to do the same thing with my system: "get the Smarthings app to get access to pertinent Elk sensors as well as have control over the system from the Smarthings app".

I've had my Elk system for about 8 years. I currently use eKey Pad for remote for access, and control/automate a number of Z Wave devices and Aprilaire thermostats. I'd like to start using Smartthing in combination with Alex to control lighting and others, but I don't want to lose the Elk foundation for security. I really liked what you proposed as a way to enable Smartthings, but also persevere Elk security. Did it work?
Thanks 

There is a smartthings Elk integration using this ESP8266 board that does not need the Konnected module:

Back