SmartHome announces new INSTEON product line

There is a 1000W Insteon dimmer. I commented earlier on the continually decreasing load rating on SmartHome relay stuff.

My attitude on relay products is that they should always be able to handle the full load of the circuit they are on (15A or 20A) and should always be straight dry contact to the load... No B.S. local control circuits on appliance modules or anything like that.

John,

Can't try x10 capability on them at the moment. These are meant for my place in North Carolina and I'm not heading up there until after Christmas.

The "Quick Guide" in the box states "Note: ICON products are X10 ready. Please consult the user's guide on how to use X10 with your ICON products."

As with the other Insteon stuff the full user's guide didn't come in the box and it's not posted on their web site for the ICON products yet.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't have the X10 capabilities advertised.

On the new switches web page. If you expand the specfications tab. There is a chart of differences. One is no X10 scenes but still has one Primary X10 Address unset from factory. 1 year warantee over 2 year expandable to 7year. White only paddle and trim plate, color changes to follow. The older ones fit fine just the extra holes for the missing led bargraph. 1 Green LED not the bargraph that give indications of brightness levels.
I did see a few differences between the switches I got and the chart [maybe fixed by now]. The dimmer I have said 600 watts ;like the full version one; the chart 300 watts. The relay model chart said 10 amps my sample 13 amps like the full version one.
Still no full users manual to download yet.
I may get time to play with them over the weekend.
I am still using the X10 modes untill the just released 2814UB PowerLinc V2 gets here.

BLH said:
I am still using the X10 modes untill the just released 2814UB PowerLinc V2 gets here.
What is the difference between the new 2418UB and the older 2414U? Why would someone choose one over the other? Are there also 2 versions of the serial PowerLinc V2?

Interesting. I called SmartHome and nobody there knows when it will be available or anything else about it so I hit "Buy It Now" on the web page just to see what happens. (I got an order number and everything so it is entered in the system).

Let's see how long I have to wait for it to actually ship!

Yes the web site is a mystery on the 2814U. Says shipping on the page. Stock level said "Call". Yesterday it was in stock and shipping. The part number was originally 2414UG? Now 2814UB. Since the 2800 series is ICON I guess that name will also change? Mine has gone from by 11/30/05 to week of 12/05/05 to by 12/16/05. Sometimes it said Waiting manufactureus update?
Guess they are mixed up right now?

I tried the X10 Primary Address on a 2876SB relay type ICON Switch. It worked fine. There are some descrepencies on the web page as to any X10 Scenes. The main web description says 1 the More details tab sais 0. I added an X10 scene to my test one.
I had to use the instructions in the 2476S Full Users Manual as the Full Users Manual for the 2876SB isn't there yet.

Can't say anything about the 2876DB dimmer type as I have not tried it yet.

Back