Smarthome's Wireless Insteon

burkemaninabox

Think I'm paranoid?

IMO Smarthome won't release any RF controllers until the warranty on our RF SignaLincs is over (cost savings). At this point we've had the RF SignaLincs plugged in for over a year and we don't really no if they can actually receive and act on an RF command. How do we know it's only acting on the PLC it receives (if it's even doing that)? We have no devices that send only RF. Remember the only reason their still are no Insteon RF (wireless) products is because they don't work yet! So by the time they get a reliable wireless device built what makes us think our 2 year old versions of RF Signalincs will work? Sorry, warranty is over, fork out another $100 for the "NEW" Signalincs.
Just a thought ;)

You know your SignaLinc RFs are working because a. the install process shows you, via blinking LED code, that they are talking to each other, and b. because that's what is coupling your Insteon signal across the two sides of the powerline. You can even verify operation by plugging an RF into a filter--which will completely isolate the Insteon signal from your power grid--and an Insteon unit plugged into the RF's passthrough will work.

I'd see someone about that paranoia if I were you...

Tom

oh... they're working... I had to move mine around to get Insteon to be 100% reliable. I'm certain that they transmit and receive.

Your concern that they make not support future RF-only devices may be valid; but I'd hardly worry about it much. ;)

In all fairness to SH they have been pretty good on exchanges from what I have heard. While I agree that there could be a problem I dont think it would be intentional and they would probably work something out.

If they didnt at least try and stand behind the products they would not stay in business very long. Not saying that some people dont get screwed by SH policies from time to time but I think it is the exception and not the rule.

Plus, what about those who forked over the extra $1.99 for the seven year warranty?

Could be an awful long wait.

All kidding aside I agree with Digger, they have been great about swapping out defective items. While it would be ideal if they did not require a swap out, but they have replaced them and supported them. If they had not, I would probably not have continued my Insteon outfitting (I did mine in pieces, which in hindsight probably is not the best way to go since my issues went away at 16 units or so).

I currently have 10 switches still installed (had to remove the others) and only 3 work reliably (well 2 rock solid and the third is flaky). The others do not work except for local control. I have about 6 or 8 more new ones I never installed so if time permits I will try out your "16" theroy one of these days.

BTW the most reliable switch is a mere 30" from the PLC on the same circuit. The second most reliable is about 4 feet from a RFLinc but its on a different circuit so it doenst count distance wise.

I also lost a box of bad ones I was going to call SH on for exchange. My luck I will find them on the 366th day ;)

Also I wasnt offered an extended warunty on the RFLincs.... or the Icon's. Who do you know?

Signalincs can't be linked to wireless devices (I dont think) so if they are compatible then you are going to have every wireless insteon command repeated on the powerline even if its your neighbors.

As I understand it, all Insteon devices repeat things; so I doubt that's a problem.

I found pretty significant differences in performance based on where I placed my RFLincs. The best solution ended up being almost directly above/below each other. Dunno why. Tried many different locations until the current ones created the fastest, most reliable signaling between various devices.

~50 switches all work reliably - except when they die... :) as a KeypadLinc did last week. Gotta replace it. ;)

Digger said:
I also lost a box of bad ones I was going to call SH on for exchange. My luck I will find them on the 366th day ;)

Also I wasnt offered an extended warunty on the RFLincs.... or the Icon's. Who do you know?
You mean the 730th day. I think everything comes with a two year warranty.

I see you are correct on the extended warranty issue. I bought my rf lincs in the starter packs and never noticed. I only have a few Icon's (which frankly I think I will be replacing with real ones) and guess I did not opt for the extended warranty.

I think I neglected to order extra warranty's on the early orders but for $1.99 it seems foolish not to, especially given that it is a new product.

gregoryx said:
As I understand it, all Insteon devices repeat things; so I doubt that's a problem.
Right but if your neighbors RF devices are in range you probably don't want their messages on your powerline. Since they are wireless then there is nothing you can do about them getting to your RF receivers, but you could cut them off from jumping onto the powerline if there was a link database enforced in the wireless gateway.

Yes, except for the fact that the RF links have a very short range. So short, in fact, that mine have to be within 50 feet of each other or no dice (your mileage will, of course, vary). There is no chance of a neighbor connecting to them, though I'll bet they would if I lived in an apartment and I had them near a shared wall.

Do people really sit around flicking switches constantly? Unless they do, I can't see that the neighbor's switches would be a big deal regardless.

Do you really think that Insteon is that popular that your neighbors will have it any time soon? Unless of course you tell them about it.

Back