Smoke Detector Placement in room with 18ft high slanted ceiling

I ended up installing a Kidde detector according to the NFPA specifications.

ano said:
Also I'm not sure I would spend lots on a Nest Connect now since it doesn't meet the requirements for Smoke Detectors installed after May 2020.  Its unclear if they can be upgraded to this with firmware.  I think its a hardware change, from what I hear.
This is interesting to me since I have 2 nest protects in my house.  What about them doesn't meet the new codes for 2020?

There will be multiple sensors to prevent false alarms.  When 2020 comes around, you can still use the current Nest Connects.  For them to sell them, they will need to update the Nest Connect.  The 2020 codes will allow a smoke alarm to be in a kitchen and not go off over a false alarm.

xiaphin said:
I ended up installing a Kidde detector according to the NFPA specifications.

This is interesting to me since I have 2 nest protects in my house.  What about them doesn't meet the new codes for 2020?
You don't need to switchout old ones, but since smoke detectors typically have a 10 year life, they will get swapped out eventually.

The new requirements are to greatly reduce false alarms. If your smoke alarm goes off when you burn toast, people pull out the battery. Then when they smoke in bed, and the house burns down, no smoke alarm. This may sound funny, but it occurs all too often.

Back