Snaplink Updates

ano

If someone from HAI reads this, do they ever plan to update their software products to support their current hardware products, like SnapLink for example?

Snaplink (Current version 1.1.22.290) As far as I can see, this product hasn't been updated in 2+ years, and the latest version doesn't support access controls like locks which were added some time ago.  But look on the HAI web site and here it is:
http://www.homeauto.com/Products/Software/SoftwareOverview.asp
If you want to use it to control a lock you can't, and most of my events read back as "Invalid Command" because they are related to access control, which isn't supported.

Then there are products like Home Control for WMC. I'm not sure if this is still sold
but this product hasn't worked with Media Center since the Windows XP days.  I'm not sure it was ever updated after it was first released.  
http://www.homeauto.com/products/software/mce.asp

Any SnapLink updates planned in the future?

Yes, their software updates are very lacking.  That's the only reason I went with someone else's iPhone app.

As a workaround to the locks, you can create buttons that will lock and unlock.  Additionally, I have a flag set to track the status so I can visually see it.

How is HAI regarding other updates to their OmniPro system? Just wondering as I was planning to buy an OmniPro this summer. If they aren't forthcoming with updates, I'll go Elk.

Updates and fixes to Omnipro have been fairly regular and keeping up to date. The other packages have been lacking.

I've had no problem with Omni Pro updates and updates with PC Access that match the Omni updates.  PC Access gets updates automatically, so that isn't a problem.  What is a problem is everything else.  Seems like once they release a software product they lose interest and it stays frozen in time. The fact that they still sell it indicates they are supporting it, which isn't at all true.

I use another product for my iPhone and iPad as well, and I have since dumped all the HAI software products I have had (WMC, WL3, etc.) because they haven't been supported in years, but SnapLink is still mildly useful.  For example I can run it on my office PC to check things and it runs nicely on Windows touchscreens as well. 

What bugs me most is that they are still selling and promoting SnapLink, when it doesn't support any new panel features.  I'm sure unsuspecting people are purchasing it, when there is little to no chance they will ever update it. 

One that bit me in the behind was last year when they announced they announced integration with the OmniTouch Pro software and the 2N Helios VoIP intercom. This I had seen working on a 5.7e, but always felt the 5.7e to be too small and over priced and was informed that it was being extended to the OmniTouch Pro software.

When it was announced, I dutifully went ahead and spent thousands on the 2N Helios, OmniTouch Pro and an in-wall touchscreen. Low and behold, despite updating to the latest software versions of OmniTouch Pro and Automation Studio, I can't get the VoIP modules to add in Automation Studio and when I lodge a support question, i'm told that in fact the development was dropped and never actually released. To add insult to injury, they completely froze development on this platform.
As you can tell, i'm still pretty annoyed about this.

Yep, I am  an almost exclusively HAI guy but I have to say that I've been wondering in the last few months about the lack of software upgrades and what that means in general.  For example, it is almost April and the 2012 catalog is still being shown in their website (no 2013).  HAI used to update their catalog every year.
BTW, are people actually buying 5.7e screens? Talk about a dinosaur.  I have 2 wall mounted iPads and one 5.7e in my house.  I don't think I have used the 5.7e in months.  Frankly I don't know why I don't take it down and sell it.

i just noticed last night: the "Software" page on HAI's website no longer links to the WL3, Weblink II, or Windows Media Center products.  See http://homeauto.com/Products/Software/SoftwareOverview.asp

The individual product pages are there if you know the URL (or Google it), but I presume this is an attempt to 'de-emphasize' or deprecate this software which isn't being maintained or developed any longer.

I have to say in my experience the support for Automation Studio (which is still listed on their website) is pretty poor.  Documentation isn't updated as new 'features' are added, HAI employees are slow to respond to problem reports on their support forum (if they respond at all), and I experience frequent crashes in the software and on my 5.7e touchscreens.

That said, my panel has been quite solid, and the PC Access software works great.  Both receive regular updates.  I'm happy with my choice of the OmniPro II.  I think the touchscreens have pretty much never lived up to the promises made by HAI, and the NuVo integration has pretty much never worked as promised.  I'm not sure if it's any better for those using Russound?

ano,

I am slightly confused by your statement that SnapLink version 1.1.22.290 does not support Access Control. SnapLink does support access control. If you have add access control to your system, have you re read the new configuration?

I have grabbed a couple of screen shots because you didn't mention which theme you were using.

See attached screen shots:

Attachments

• SnapLink_Access_Control_2.JPG
    SnapLink_Access_Control_2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 18
  • SnapLink_Access_Control_1.jpg
    SnapLink_Access_Control_1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 14
I just downloaded the latest Snaplink.  Prior to connecting, there was a dimmed out option for Access Control.  After connecting, the option disappeared.  I only have a lock defined in my system, so I went and defined a bogus access control reader (and downloaded to the panel), but the AC option does not appear.

JonW,

If you just have a ZigBee or Z-Wave lock but not Access Control, you do not have to configure a dummy Access Control reader, but you do have to define one of the serial ports as Access Control.

Snap-Link determines if a feature is enabled by wether a serial port is configured for it. For example if any serial port is configured for any audio protocol, you get an Audion button/page. If no serial ports are configured for an audio system the assumption is you are not connected to an audio system, so no need for an audio page. In order to enable the Access Control functions, you must have a serial port set to Access Control even thought ZigBee and Z-Wave locks works slightly differently. As soon as I get a some time I will add detection for ZigBee and Z-Wave locks without access control.

In PC Access 3, set a serial port to Access Control. If you are using all 5 serial ports for other things, you can assign the expansion serial board even if it does not exist. (e.g. Expansion > Module 4 > Access Control). If you are using all 6 then you have a problem.

Next go to the Access Control node/page and set up your locks/readers. Pick the Access Control Device type and set the address as appropriate for your devices.

Write the configuration to the controller. Start Snap-Link and read the configuration from the controller into Snap-Link.

It should work.

Also I think all of this is in a white paper in the knowledge base... kb.homeauto.com

Hmmm....O.K. Change my posts from "SnapLink is not being updated" to
"SnapLink doesn't work."  I AM running Omni firmware that supports
Access Control, I DO have a serial port with a ZigBee ZIM, and PC Access
3 correctly shows my 3 ZigBee locks and lets me lock them.  I set
SnapLink to download the configuration, and this is what I see....  I
don't see any Access Control on my screen.

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
  • locks.JPG
    locks.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 5
OK, I have it listed now.  I'll have to try it when I get home and see if it locks/unlocks the door.

Any way to get Snaplink to recognize the log entries for the locks?  I just show a ton of "Invalid Command" entries each time the door locks or unlocks.

Back