SNMP Driver for CQC Now Available

wuench

Well after over a year of development, CQC now has support for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2). I wrote this driver from scratch and made a lot of "discoveries" along the way about why all the network management tools I have used at work have issues. :p

It is all done at the UDP/datagram level and does not depend on any of Windows SNMP dll's. So if you are a CQC user with a need to manage some network devices, or are just curious about SNMP implementation details feel free to download the driver and documentation at the thread below.

CQC SNMP Driver Thread

Here's a shot of my CQC template for managing my APC UPS via SNMP...

UPS_Popup.PNG

Not sure how many people have SNMP capable devices....but i really like the idea.. :)

Nice work..

Thanks.

Right now I have the following that support SNMP:

1.) Epson TW500 Projector
2.) APC UPS
3.) Linksys WRT54G running OpenWRT firmware
4.) Linksys WAP54G
5.) All my Windows PC's.

Although the gathering of info and control of these devices isn't nearly as useful as lighting control, security, etc. I wish that more devices like automation panels had support for SNMP, but after developing this driver, I have a real appreciation for the amount of code and memory it would require, so I can see why they wouldn't want to go down that road...

I didn't know any PC could provide SNMP data...does one need to install something on the PC? What type of data can one gain from a PC?

I didn't know any PC could provide SNMP data...does one need to install something on the PC? What type of data can one gain from a PC?

You need to install the SNMP Service from the Windows Installer. It is an optional component. Once you do that you can get CPU, Mem, Disk Util, Interface stuff, Network/LanMan, Running Processes...

There is also a simpler MIB by SNMP informant for Windows and Motherboard Monitor.

Linux/Unix also supports SNMP if you have SNMPd installed.

I'll be adding posts to the CQC thread above on how to access these devices with the driver.

This is great.. lots of network devices, especially network devices and send messages via snmp.

You need to install the SNMP Service from the Windows Installer. It is an optional component. Once you do that you can get CPU, Mem, Disk Util, Interface stuff, Network/LanMan, Running Processes...

There is also a simpler MIB by SNMP informant for Windows and Motherboard Monitor.

Linux/Unix also supports SNMP if you have SNMPd installed.

I'll be adding posts to the CQC thread above on how to access these devices with the driver.

Back