some active rfid products

damage said:
what happens if you park the car w/ the 40m xmitter in the garage? do you get noisy readings?
No. Works the same way. The 40M transmitters are only inaccurate within a few feet of the receiver.

Rupp said:
Yes. The receiver and transmitter. I use the 8 meter transmitters for cars in the garage and the 40m transmitter for the one's that do not fit in the garage and for the garbage can. Let me warn you about one thing. Make sure you connect the case to the garbage using a secure method. I've already donated one to the garbage company ;)
Thanks for the advice. For now I'm just going to play with it for the cars.

If you use it to determine if the trash can has been taken out, why have the longer range transmitter? Don't you just use the presence/absence of the transmitter to know if the trash has been taken out?

How long can the serial cable be for this thing? I was hoping to put it in my garage attic, but that's 40-50ft away from my closet.

Has anyone else tried with the the Elk M1? I am wondering if there is just too much data transmitting too fast when using multiple tags. Wish I could test this without having to spend almost $100 in new hardware :/

Hey E,

Maybe you could contact the developer. He might float you a few "eval" units to test and do a review for CT. Great (and cheap) advertising if you ask me...

Terry

electron said:
How long can the serial cable be for this thing? I was hoping to put it in my garage attic, but that's 40-50ft away from my closet.
I have mine on a 25' serial extension cable and have no problems. I have heard of people running RS-232 extension cables over 200'. I'd say, try it. It doesn't cost that much for a 50' cable. I just checked and there are some on eBay for <$13 w/S&H.

Yea I can handle building my own cable, I just wasn't sure if the data transmission would be reliable enough.

Sendero said:
Rupp said:
Yes. The receiver and transmitter. I use the 8 meter transmitters for cars in the garage and the 40m transmitter for the one's that do not fit in the garage and for the garbage can. Let me warn you about one thing. Make sure you connect the case to the garbage using a secure method. I've already donated one to the garbage company ;)
Thanks for the advice. For now I'm just going to play with it for the cars.

If you use it to determine if the trash can has been taken out, why have the longer range transmitter? Don't you just use the presence/absence of the transmitter to know if the trash has been taken out?
My trash bin is the type that's on wheels and it sits outside the 8M range so I needed the 40M to see it at the house. It was still in range at the street but I curled the antenna up and mounted it in the case and it worked perfectly. The only problem is I failed to securely attach it to the can and have donated one to the dump. :)

electron said:
Yea I can handle building my own cable, I just wasn't sure if the data transmission would be reliable enough.
Dan I mounted my receiver near my PC and then added an antenna and ran 50 feet ot RJ6 to the attic. Works great.

deranged said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
I would be all over this if the plugin was compatible with HomeSeer ver 1.7x... :lol:
I believe at one point someone had written a script to do the basics, I am sure the script would run with 1.7.

StevenE
I have a script that I used to use, before Piper, et. all wrote the "Plugins".

BSR, if you want it, I'll send it over to you.

--Dan

so i took the plunge and got my receiver & three 40m transmitters yesterday. took about 15 mins to set up - popped in the batteries, threw the xmitters in the cars, connected the receiver and wrote about 30 lines of code in starCOMUltra to read the serial port and track the cars. the signal is very good. the receiver is under the desk in my office and neither the receivers or transmitters have external antennas.

where did you put the transmitter? Did you get the car ready version, or just the board?

i got the just the boards (and the plastic enclosures). i put one in the in the pocket behind the passenger seat and the other 2 are in the center console storage of the other cars.

Back