Song Lyrics

So no one knows of any Tag Editor that will look up the lyrics? Unless it is saved in the song and usable my other media players, I would not bother.

Vaughn

John, I just came across this thread and installed the plugin. He's interrogating Google by the ID3 tag. Pretty neat.

Vaughn
So no one knows of any Tag Editor that will look up the lyrics? Unless it is saved in the song and usable my other media players, I would not bother.

Vaughn

Actually, there is a program called "Tag Runner" that will automatically get the lyrics for you, and save them to the MP3 tags. The only problem is, that the program above is much more accurate and much more well formatted.

Well, I tried both of those programs. First let me say, I know I am short on patience with these things and my attention is spread thin between so many projects. I tried both of the above programs (free versions). JRiver's plug's are too confusing and I never got it to work. The Evil(something) plugin actually broke J River. So I then tried TagRunner. It looked like the easiest and automatic, but there is no confirmation of what it is doing, then when I went into other editors and media players, none of it's changes showed up...

I did Google searches and tried other editors too, I am very disappointed... Part of the problem maybe be Microsofts fault, but it does not seem to display the tags that most editors update. Maybe I should try Winamp or something.

It just gets me that there is 150 tag editors out there, the tech has been around for years and it is still so cumbersome and complicated. I would pay $100+ for an mp3 manager, but it need to handle this stuff without me taking a class in it.

Again, I know I am just whiny. I just will have to wait until someone else writes a good FAQ or something cuz I have to focus on other things. I just got a new roommate and she would love to help perfect my music collection though, so I hate to not get her the tools to do it... Hate wasting free labor =) My collection is over 3,000 albums and is a lot of work.

If you have actually used either of the two above apps and know you can view the tag info in WMP and the such, your continued assistance in making it work would be awesome.

Thanks man,
Vaughn

Actually, Loaded up Tag Runner and pointed to the Root folder of my MP3's. It loaded em all in (It's kinda slow to say the least). Then I just went to the pulldown, and said Get Batch lyrics... or something like that, then went to bed. When I got up the next morning, it had put all the lyrics it could find in the mp3's. It dosent get much easier than that :)

Lemme help with some links:
J. River Media Center current version
King Sparta's Lyrics Finder
Doof's Lyrics Editor

If you want to know what tracks do not yet have lyrics in the tag, there may be a "Smartlist" already there called "Task -- no lyrics" (or maybe I just built that one for myself so long ago I forgot :)). To create a search for no lyrics put "Lyrics=[]" in any search bar - as part of a view scheme or smart list or just in the upper right standard search.

I usually use a special filter that excludes music that won't HAVE lyrics such as Classical, Ambient, most types of Jazz... stuff like that. That's a more complicated filter / search. The Lyrics Editor below adds another option beyond this: ability to look only for tracks that you have already "cleaned" with it.

Lyrics Finder works as a batch program, hitting many - though certainly not all - tracks. Play a bunch of tracks (or put them in "Play Now" then hit "stop"). Go to the Plugins section on the JRMC tree and choose Lyrics Finder. Go to the "Main" tab and do the "batch". It'll do them.

Lyrics Editor is more of a "per song" program, AFAICT, but will fill lyrics pretty quickly and will help "fix" them and clean up their formatting and such. Go to the Plugins section on the JRMC tree and choose Lyrics Editor. In the pull-down at the top choose to use what's in "Playing Now" or any other playlist or smartlist as your source of files. The files show up on the left (after a bit if it's a long list - I just had it find the 8000 of mine that do not have lyrics). Then use the various buttons to get lyrics or clean them or whatever.

When you're done, all the MP3s (or APEs, in my case) have the Lyrics added to the Lyrics field of the tags. Do with them as you see fit at that point - abandon JRMC if you like... whatever.

HTH!

I'm next going to try to figure out how to have the lyrics "pushed" from JRMC to a text file, then to an MLServer command to populate a variable with the current lyric (as stored and edited in the tags, not just "live" from EvilLyrics). Any help here would be appreciated, of course. :(

JohnWPB said:
Actually, Loaded up Tag Runner and pointed to the Root folder of my MP3's. It loaded em all in (It's kinda slow to say the least). Then I just went to the pulldown, and said Get Batch lyrics... or something like that, then went to bed. When I got up the next morning, it had put all the lyrics it could find in the mp3's. It dosent get much easier than that :)
Does WMP10 show the Lyrics when you play the song? What about the other ID3 fields when you go into the WMP library or properties? Lastly, if you right-click a song from XP and look at the properties, are the Tags all correct?

Using the software was easy enough, it is benefiting from it that is giving me a little trouble. I have sync'ed ID3 v1 & 2 tags in albums, but depending on how I look at it (what program, etc) many tags are missing and I have not gotten WMP to show the Lyrics that Tag Runner put in.

Vaughn

Back