Specialty pull through Cat5 modular plugs/crimper

Rustytek

I remember seeing a product at Ehxpo that would allow you to pull the wires through the modular plug and the crimper would cut the wires at the end. I have around 100 cables to wire up and this would save me lots of time. Does anybody know the name of the product and/or where I can get it?

Are you referring to the EZ-RJ45? If so, you'll need the crimper that goes along with it to cut the wires.

Having used it, I can say that it really doesn't save me much time doing the plugs because you still have to line up all the wires before slowly inserting them into the plug....but it does keep your success rate at 100% because you can verify before crimping. You'll also never need to worry that you cut back too much cat5 jacket.

Yea, I've done both and find the EZ better too. And here are some tips I picked up from Brandon @ AO. First, to separate each of the wires in the pairs, use a mini pick tool such as this one. Using the 80 degree pick to untwist each pair really works well and saves time (and your fingertips) when doing alot. Then after you insert the wires through the EZ45 connector, give them a quick twist or two together. Then when you crimp/cut you have 1 wire instead of 8 to pick up.

Then when you crimp/cut you have 1 wire instead of 8 to pick up.

Took me a while to figure out what you mean...I didn't know if you meant you inserted the wires 1 at a time (I wonder if you could do that, and if you could if it'd save time.). But now I understand, and good advice, especially if you're terminating over carpet.

The way they do make insertion easier is you can strip back like 2" of the wire and then really pull on the wires to straighten them out, and have no worries about losing twists. Then slide the connector past all the straightened section down to the jacket and you're good to go.

And you're right steve...my finger tips begin to hurt after a while of untwisting. cat6 is even worse. ;)

Yes, I like the EZ crimp stuff too. When checking our site, you'll see both Leviton and Platinum Tools EZ crimp stuff. Hint - Platinum makes it for Leviton.....

To terminate Cat5e/RJ45 what else do i need besides this tool? The text at AO states it has a stripper too for 'satin'? Just want to make sure i get all i need in 1 buy..

Do most of you put the little 'boots' on the connections? What is their purpose? If the 'boot' is abel to be slid back along the wire it doesnt really act as strain relief...

To terminate Cat5e/RJ45 what else do i need besides this tool? The text at AO states it has a stripper too for 'satin'? Just want to make sure i get all i need in 1 buy..

Do most of you put the little 'boots' on the connections? What is their purpose? If the 'boot' is abel to be slid back along the wire it doesnt really act as strain relief...
With that tool and the EZ-RJ45 ends, you are good to go. "Silver satin" is the flat phone wire, 4, 6 or 8 conductor. The purpose of the boots is to prevent the latch from getting bent backwards and broken when you untangle a rats nest. They are not needed for structured wiring. They are a matter of opinion for end-user patch cords... some love em, but sometimes it makes it real hard to get to the latch tang to unplug a cable.

I got the strain boots only for cat6, just because it's supposed to be really picky about bend radius. The boots I got specifically were made for EZPlugs, so they slipped into the end of the RJ45 connector and during crimping they get connected so they won't separate. I don't know if relief boots are all the same.

Back