stair lights

Man that is technically advanced. I wonder if you couldn't accomplish the same thing with rope light and a motion sensor? I wonder if that would look gaudy? Yea it probably would.

Very nice setup, but I'm surprised that he didn't arrange the end trip to initiate the turn-off sequence. It appears that there's a timer doing this. Since the system knows the direction by the start trip, this wouldn't be difficult. The timer logic would then be a fail-safe in case the end trip wasn't sensed for some reason.

I was going to install super bright LED's in the side of the stairs, since I have access to the back of the stairs, and access to the back of the wall attached to the stairs. I am even considering doing this in my long hallway, I just have to do the math to see how much electricity this would use, or if there would be any heat issues.

Very cool, but someone should tell that guy that its 2005 and not the 70's. Time to get rid of that retro tile. Something like that would add a very nice effect to my theater since people love to turn the lights on in the middle of a movie so they can go get a drink. Looks like alot of work though. I would be happy with just lights and motion detector without them fading on and off.

Very cool though.

I wonder if you couldn't accomplish the same thing with rope light and a motion sensor? I wonder if that would look gaudy? Yea it probably would.

Ouch.... hit me right where it counts. I have this set-up :eek: ;)

Actually, I get more compliments and questions about those lights than anything else... (maybe cause its the most visible and different). Mine have a "built-in" look, as the rope lies on a molding and I put a strip over top of them... when exposed, the lights were a bit to bright (middle of the night)... this way the light shines out and not up. The motion sensors are more visible than the lights themselves.

All in all, an easy, inexpensive project, that adds a bit of practical coolness to the place.

Now what that guy did in the link.. well, thats above and beyond what Im willing to do, since I rent (read: lazy)...but I dig how they fade out!

Treetop

Maybe it's just me, but I would not want a permanent installation of a laser pointer anywhere in my house or yard. ;) Laser pointers are usually "Class IIIA" and labeled "Danger" because they can inflict possible eye damaged. (More details HERE)

This is especially important if you have curious children that would want to "look at" this "always on" light source.

I actually want to use pressure sensors to figure out where someone is, but worst case, you could use motion sensors, I definitely wouldn't go that crazy either. Any suggestions on what LED's I should look at (or should I take a small piece of rope lighting apart, since those are dimmable)?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Maybe it's just me, but I would not want a permanent installation of a laser pointer anywhere in my house or yard. ;) Laser pointers are usually "Class IIIA" and labeled "Danger" because they can inflict possible eye damaged. (More details HERE)

This is especially important if you have curious children that would want to "look at" this "always on" light source.
It should be easy enough to do with IR emitting LEDs instead of the laser. I assume that the laser was selected for coolness, not necessity.

The other option instead of the laser, would be to use IR beam sensors (like that found on most garage doors today) a little safer on the eyes and work just as well. Here is a link to a simple DIY Kit. You could then hook the relay contacts into your HA via the GamePort plugin or other contact closure input method. Not into DIY, you could buy IR Beam sensors like these.

The Pod

electron said:
I actually want to use pressure sensors to figure out where someone is, but worst case, you could use motion sensors, I definitely wouldn't go that crazy either. Any suggestions on what LED's I should look at (or should I take a small piece of rope lighting apart, since those are dimmable)?
If you want very bright LEDs, check out the Luxeon ones (www.luxeon.com) (maybe the Luxeon III or Luxeon V). These are used in many of the brightest LED flashlights. It looks like the run $6 to $8 a piece.

Of course, a bunch of these may be enough to light up your entire house, not just the stairs.

And, you run the risk of temporary blindness, etc., from people staring into them (similar to BSRs concern about the laser).

For dark-assimilated eyes, you shouldn't need anything near the brightness that these can give you. Also, to achieve the brightness used in flashlights, these LEDs are usually always mounted in a sizeable chunk of aluminum to act as a heat sink. Otherwise, they don't last very long.

Back