Strain Gauge Sensors

upstatemike

I was just looking for some of those Strain Gauge Sensors that you put on your floor joists to detect when somebody is in a room, but I can't remeber what they are called. Did a quick search on AO and Smarthome and TechHome and SmartHomeUSA and Home Controls... I guess I don't know what search word to use. Anybody remember what these things are called and who all carries them?

electron said:
I have those pulsors installed, they work very well.
Any problem putting the sensors remote from the interface board? I was thinking of putting a 3 zone unit in the wiring room which would make some of the sensor runs as long as 100 feet. Should I use heavy wire to keep the resistance low?

I have two runs (1 zone) that are about 80 feet from pulsar to control unit. I ran them on a cat5e (plenum) cable. I concur with E these work very well.

Mahalo,
Shawn

HAL_MAN said:
I have two runs (1 zone) that are about 80 feet from pulsar to control unit. I ran them on a cat5e (plenum) cable. I concur with E these work very well.

Mahalo,
Shawn
Great! I prefer to use cat-5 whenever possible. Thanks!

You have to buy the processing unit, which can either give you 1 NC or 1 NO output per zone.

OK, now I need a source for a good "floor squeek" wav file. I want my HA system to play the floor squeek sound whenever the pulsor is triggered.

I just installed some of these and have them hooked up through my Elk with MainLobby as the interface.
I havent messed with them much yet but....

When I stand on top of one, I get a brief change in status in ML.
Is there a way to for these to detect and show "on" constantly when someone is standing on one. Then go back to off when the person leaves?

I put 2 on the joists under my bed. I am trying to get a constant "on" when someone is in bed.

Thanks
Ty

Interesting idea. Maybe I can do one under my couch and make a high tech whoopie cushion!

I'd like to know more about a "constant on" output also.

Back