Suggest a system (newbie)

ogeneo

Hi folks, another newbie question.

Right now I am using an alarm system from SAS/Bay Alarm here in California. The panel is a "Vista xx" (forget the # right now) I'd like to ditch them as well as their excessive monthly fees. I

Nice features
1. Arm/disarm from any phone in the house
2. Arm/disarm by dialing in from any external phone and keying in my pin#
3. Wireless switches and motion detectors.

#3 is easy enough I'm sure.

Other considerations:

- No "traditional" phone service, we use Vonage
- Mac user, so we use Insteon devices and Indigo

Suggestions?

Elk M1G

Ok, I guess I should support that a little better. You probably have Honeywell/Ademco panel, Maybe a Vista 20...

The Elk has a phone interface where you pick up an extension and dial *** and it takes you to a menu where you can arm/disarm amoung other things. I'm not 100$ sure how that would work with voip, but I think as long as the M1 and your phones were after your voip modem you should be ok. Same applies to dialin. The M1 also supports Insteon and yes supports all type of contacts and sensors.

I don't think the programming tool, Elk RP runs on a mac, but maybe in a emulator window or something (I'm mac illiterate).

Thanks much.. the Vista 20 sounds like what I have. This is a relatively small home, everything is wireless.

Looks like for starters I'd go with:

12 Wireless door/window switches
- Phone interface (if it works with VOIP)
- Siren (my current one in inside the house)
- M1 LCD keypad

I suppose I can grow the system from there, but a this might be a good start. I'll likely need some sort of software to program the thing?? (I do have a PC at home)

What would I need to add to this to work with a monitoring company like NextAlarm?

Plenty of research to do.. thanks for the help!

You would then just need one of the starter kits. All you would need to add would be the wireless receiver and contacts. I don't think the Ademco wireless products are compatible with Caddx/ITI. The M1 kit has everything else you would need. The only possible thing to consider would be a larger can if you are thinking about expanding in the future.

The system comes with ElkRP which is the programming software and nothing additional is needed for basic monitoring with NextAlarm.

I bought the small can (enclosure) since money was tight. Now the panel is very "tight" and I have to redo everything so I would seriously consider teh larger can.

Steve said:
The Elk has a phone interface where you pick up an extension and dial *** and it takes you to a menu where you can arm/disarm amoung other things. I'm not 100$ sure how that would work with voip, but I think as long as the M1 and your phones were after your voip modem you should be ok.
Im using Vonage (VOIP) and have no problems with phone access

Thanks guys... How does this sound for starters?

1-ELK M1 "GOLD" Package

Plus:
1-NX416 - Caddx 16 Zone Wireless expander module
1-WO35A - ELK M1 Accessory Wire Harness
1-NX-469 - Caddx Wireless Receiver Enclosure
9-NX-450 - Wireless Door Window Sensor, white (These may vary models)
1-NX-491NT - Wireless Smoke Detector

Do I need this? for NextAlarm? For Remote Web Access?

1-M1XEP - ELK Ethernet Port Interface

Suggestions on anything I may be missing? I didn't see any wireless key pads like the ones I have with my current system. ( I have one in each car)

Edit: Just found the NX470 wireless remote

If you are just tring to get out from under their monhtly monitoring fees you don't need a whole different alarm control (unless you are still under contract).

Just call a competitior, that system is a staple that works with I would think every central station. NextAlarm.com will probably download it for you so you don't need to know jack aside from your phone# and your make/model.

Actually, a lot of Bay Ademco systems are custom-made for Bay, and can't be downloaded without Bay's own version of Compass. Those systems also, as far as we've been able to tell, use some kind of custom reporting format (probably just Contact ID with a different handshake or something, but it's enough) that we can't receive. If you're going to keep your current system, check the model number and serial number for the word "Bay". If that's there, then it is a custom system.

Yeah, another issue you frequently run into is that the original installer might be the only one with the "installer code". If that's the case, most systems won't let you default the panel and you'll be stuck into using that original installer or ditching the panel.

Back