TCP/IP Settings on M1XEP

yrkd05

I'm trying to make sure I have the proper setting on the TCP/IP tab for the M1XEP.
My ISP is Comcast, with a cable modem. I have a D-Link router.

I'm using static IP with these settings:
IP Address: 192.168.0.248
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

For DNS I don't know what to use. Is this the LAN DNS which I understand is same as default gateway, or WAN DNS, which I was told for Comcast is 75.75.75.75 / 75.75.76.76 (primary/secondary), or what I see in my router status page which is 204.194.232.200 / 204.194.234.200?

does the fact that I have an account with dyndns make any difference what I put here? The dynamic DNS tab is filled out on my M1XEP and tests correctly.

My next step will be to get email working with the M1, but didn't want to get too hung up on that until I know the TCP/IP is set up properly. After reading the posts about email setup my head is still spinning, not looking forward to that!

Thanks for any help.

DNS can be any DNS that works, it is not usually the same as your default gatway.  I would go to one of your PC's and do an ipconfig /all at a command prompt and use those DNS settings.   That should give you whatever your ISP is handing out.  Probably the ones you see on your router's status page.

Another good independent option are Google's public DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

When I run "ipconfig /all" I get a single DNS server and its the same as the default gateway and DHCP server, 192.168.0.1
There is no secondary DNS listed. I'm a newbie at this, but it seems like a pc on my home network is using the router dns server (same as gateway and dhcp server) and then the router status page has the dns server that my isp is handing out? Not sure if this is the right way to describe it, but the pc is showing the LAN dns server, and the router status page shows the WAN dns server.  Which is the M1XEP asking for?

Your router is acting as a local DNS server for the PCs on your LAN, and gets the information it needs from your ISP's DNS.  

You can configure the M1XEP with either address, but using the router's address of 192.168.0.1 will generally give you the best performance.  Not that it matters all that much in this case.

Thanks all. I think I understand what's going on now.

Also, I discovered the DNS servers on my router's status page were not the Comcast DNS servers because during the router set up I enabled something D-Link calls advanced DNS service. This is a free security option they claim provides anti-phishing and navigation improvements such as auto-correction. So those addresses are D-link DNS servers.

Yeah, it's fine if your router is acting as a DNS server.   You can just use the primary entry, if the router is gone you won't be able to hit a secondary anyway.   It will probably cache responses that is why the performance is better, so if two different devices lookup up the same DNS, the second device will just get the response from the router for a period of time.  It won't need to go all the way to an external DNS server.

If you find that you can't reach some sites remember the DLink DNS is filtering, you may want to change that to something like the Google addresses if it causes you issues.   My ISP would spoof DNS, (i.e. if I send a request for something and it failed it returned the IP of the ISP's homepage).   That made troubleshooting difficult, so I use the Google DNS.

Back