Temporary Home Security

dxp178

I've been doing a lot of Home Security / Home Automation research in preparation of my wife and I building a new home next year. However, in recent weeks there has been a rash of break-ins and security issues in our current neighborhood (one of the reasons we are looking forward to moving next year).

I haven't pulled the trigger yet in ordering an Elk M1 as I plan to for the new house, but I wanted to get the opinion of the people on this board. Should I go ahead and buy the M1 and install a couple of wireless motion detectors and glass break sensors for the exisiting house. That way I can take them with us when I leave or should I just bite the bullet, install a stand alone security system and leave it here for the next chump? I definitely don't have a lot of time or energy to install numerous wires around the existing house.

We've never had to get a home security system before, so I'm not all that familiar of what to expect if I go the stand alone option and get Brinks or one of those monitoring companies to install it?

Any opinions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-D

I've been doing a lot of Home Security / Home Automation research in preparation of my wife and I building a new home next year. However, in recent weeks there has been a rash of break-ins and security issues in our current neighborhood (one of the reasons we are looking forward to moving next year).

I haven't pulled the trigger yet in ordering an Elk M1 as I plan to for the new house, but I wanted to get the opinion of the people on this board. Should I go ahead and buy the M1 and install a couple of wireless motion detectors and glass break sensors for the exisiting house. That way I can take them with us when I leave or should I just bite the bullet, install a stand alone security system and leave it here for the next chump? I definitely don't have a lot of time or energy to install numerous wires around the existing house.

We've never had to get a home security system before, so I'm not all that familiar of what to expect if I go the stand alone option and get Brinks or one of those monitoring companies to install it?

Any opinions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-D

If it were me, I would install a cheap wireless system. Then buy the elk for the new home, when the time comes. Since this is such a fast moving industry there might be a new version of elk or a different system you might like better by the time you build the new house.

Ademco and Visonic have some reasonably priced wireless systems that would only take a few hours to install (depending on the coverage you want). I would put a wireless motion on each floor at the very least. You can also get a keyfob for arming and disarming and as a panic in an emergency (if you have it with you). You can bring it with you to the new house if the ELK will not be fully up and running when you move in.

If you check out NextAlarm they sell the visonic and it comes with a years free monitoring.

Good luck.

wuench has a good point. but, i am thinking go ahead and get the elk, why? so you can go ahead and start playing with it thus be in a better position when you move. you will already be familiar, or at least more familiar, with the elk and its capabilities. you state you dont have time to mess with this stuff, but I would bet a dime to a dollar that once you get started, you will FIND time. its addicting. lol. and in a very good way, imo.

Basic wired contacts support most any panel. ELK wireless and CADDX wireless are essentially the same. I'd buy the ELK, get used to it, and when it comes time to sell, just substitute a cheap panel and take the elk with you.

Given that you don't want to wire a property you're selling soon, I'd come down in the camp of getting a cheap wireless system for now.

In particular, look for one with monitoring from a company that will service both locations.

Then you can leave the cheap wireless one behind and take the monitoring with you to monitor the new wired system you'll install.

I do agree that an Elk would be a good choice for the new home!

If buying a new home next year means January, I'd look into ADT or Brinks installing their $99 special. So long as you or the new buyer are not responsible for their monitoring contract after you sell.

Back