Test CAT6 run that quit working?

Did you test the cable with a new style cable tester?

A few years back connected a new home buddy built on his farm with 300 + feet of direct burial cat6. It is ~ 320 or so between the houses and each side travels about 15-25 feet inside of the house. Both sides go to interior basement patch panels. No problems to date.

Here is a picture. There are 4 houses on the farm. (brother and sister and old family house and new house).

He did not want to spend monies on fiber at the time.

Buddy buried cable and I terminated cable ends and tested them with cable tester at the time before using them.

Construction was slow and we prewired house before walls went up to a basement Leviton Media Panel at the time.

farm.jpg

Last edited:
Did you test the cable with a new style cable tester?
Not sure what you mean by "new style". Side note - at work there is a tendency to label a test as the "new" whatever. But I try to teach people that new is a terrible description as in a couple years there is likely to be newer new thing, possibly several iterations. Better to describe it or at least date it. Anyway, I used the about $50 tester from amazon that someone linked to earlier in this thread. As far as I can tell it just checks for proper continuity and no shorts, not a transmission cable type test with fast dv/dt edges.

I am going to try using female terminations as they are much easier to do.

Anyone know if they make a metal version of the punch down tool for the keystone jacks? I am sure they must. The plastic ones they give you with some jacks wear down pretty quickly.

Yes I linked to the el cheapo Amazon network cable tester. My original nice "el cheapo" tester was an Ebay purchase from China at the time.

New here is different than the old continuity RJ45 testers with LED lamps which is what I used in the 1990's to wire up my house to DSL Internet at the time. These were very cheap at $20 and still being sold today.

The better newer testers make sure you have your pairs in order on the LCD display.

wire.jpg

I used one when I switched my outside in berm IP cameras to POE and noticed that most of them were wired incorrectly. (RJ45's at each end) over 15 years ago.

The Amazon $50 tester checks continuity, order of the 4 pairs of wires (they have to be connected in order) and length of cable for proper functioning.

Amazon el cheapo tester and toner for $52.99 "New Style" first purchased from Ebay 15 years ago.

KOLSOL Network Cable Tester, Ethernet Wire Tracer with NCV & Lamp for CAT5 CAT6, PoE Tester Detect Voltage Measure Fault Distance by TDR NF-8209

Digital cable scanning NF-8209 lan cable tester is a new generation to offer AC filter and analog signaling all in one network toner and probe. It has three modes for options to track cable like AC filter mode, analog mode and PoE mode.

Fault distance location Rj45 cable tester measure cable length and locate fault distance accurately for lan cable. the range is 200m.That means it's equipped with the most powerful cable location technologies for any work environment.

Multi Function Network cable tester kit includes cable length measurement , cable faults testing, PoE testing, hub blink and NCV function, all these makes it a must-tool for cabling engineers.

PoE information testing & Hub blink Identify which pins are providing power and detect how much voltage, identify which the type of PSE (at/af standard).Locate network port by the flashing port light on Hub / Switch. Available to 10M/100M Hub/ switch.

Cable continuity testing & NCV test physical status for STP, UTP lan cable. Detect AC voltage presence (50V-1000V).

Better yet would be this one for $173.49

Klein Tools VDV501-852 Cable Tester with Remote, VDV Scout Pro 3 Test Kit Locates and Tests Voice, Data and Video Cables

Cable tester for voice (RJ11/12), data (RJ45) and video (F-connector) coax connections

Self-storing Test + Map Remote (#1) tests, maps and IDs a cable run in a single step

Power over Ethernet Tester that displays PoE wire and Voltage

Trace cables, wire pairs and individual conductor wires with a tone generator (requires analog probe Cat. No. VDV500-123; sold separately)

Measures cable length up to 2,000 feet (610 m)

Identify multiple cable runs with location-mapping remotes Identify

Identify 18 RJ45 and 18 F-connector drop locations with large easy-to-read numbers

Detect, identify and test Power over Ethernet (PoE)

Doing the above with a tester you will see any faults in wiring et al.

If you do not see any faults then your transport will work fine...IE: PC to PC or PC to router et al.

Last edited:
Back