The Batcave Video

ph0n33z

Alright guys,

I have finally gotten a chance to take a short video of the "batcave" (a.k.a the ha/server room)

I wanted to post this to get some feedback on how I should run the wires into the room, where I should put the panel, racks, etc. I basically need help in designing the layout for it.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Efjk-wpuo

Thanks guys!

P.S. Try to hold on till the end, as it shows the overall view of the cave.

Nice, I was hoping to catch a longer look at your...

I better stop. All the people who know me will know what I was about to say. :p

I will have to watch it again when I get home so that I can listen to the audio. No speakers at work ;)

Squintz!!!!

I have not heard from you in a while bud. Nice to see you.

BTW, dont worry about the audio..........there is none. LOL. I had to use my digital camera, so did not use the audio portion.

Man have you guys heard of wireless devices? :p

Seriously though are there enough power outlets in that closet?

Now that's a bunch of wires :p

I'll take wired over wireless anyday. It takes more effort up front but you will always have a good fast connection.

Hope you are not going to have too many heat producers in that closet.

BTW I like the staircase.

Eric

Power Outlets:

I have 3 dedicated circuits going to that closet, with a total of 4 outlets. I hope thats enough??

Heat Output:

I was concerned with this (since the room is so small), so I designed the HVAC system to have the batcave be its own zone. It will have its own tstat, along with the single return and single supply you see in the video. This way, the room can constantly be kept cool for those long bouts of terminating I have ahead of me!

Wow, I am so jealous, and impressed. You've more or less taken CT advice and wired this thing to a T. Assuming the wires are labeled you are sitting in a sweet position.

I am curious. I know you didn't ask them to terminate the cave end, but what are they doing on the other ends of all those lines? Are you getting an "as built" drawing?

As long as you have some way to find the wire after the drywall is up it may not matter too much.....

Chakara said:
I am curious. I know you didn't ask them to terminate the cave end, but what are they doing on the other ends of all those lines? Are you getting an "as built" drawing?

As long as you have some way to find the wire after the drywall is up it may not matter too much.....
Thanks for the kind remarks Chak! Its nice to hear encouragement on this stuff once in a while. :)

What do you mean by "as built"? I do not understand what you are saying.

Also, I am debating right now as to how to go about "burying' the wire. I am leaning towards using plastic jboxes to run the wire in, and then having them drywall over it. This way, it will be easy to find the boxes at a later time.

What do you guys think?

Also, any tips/suggestion on the layout/design of the batcave?

ph0n33z said:
I am leaning towards using plastic jboxes to run the wire in, and then having them drywall over it. This way, it will be easy to find the boxes at a later time.
Having done this both ways I like the J-Box idea the best. As I've shown you in other posts you can just land one J-Box and have it support multiple sensors if they are going to all be mounted 'around' the same location. This methodology beats digging through drywall and then hoping the sensor you are mounting is large enough to cover this hole once mounted. :)

BraveSirRobbin said:
This methodology beats digging through drywall and then hoping the sensor you are mounting is large enough to cover this hole once mounted. :)
Maybe I am not understanding, but wouldn't using jboxes pose the exact same problem?

If I have them cover up the boxes, and then at a later date cut a hole out for the box........I will still have a large single-gang sized hole there. Will sensors/touchscreens/etc be enough to cover up that hole?

WoW !!!!

Lots of wires there. ;-)

Would it be worthwhile having a removable panel at the top of your Node 0 just in case you need to run some cables later ?? Looks like it might not be accessible .....

One thing that i think would be nice to add while still at the framing stage and that is stair led lighting....Some of the guys in the UK have done this and i think it looks great...

Check out the link...

http://alan-parekh.com/stair_lights.html

Frank

Back