Haiku The new product

cobra said:
You will have to be using the same AppleID you originally purchased it with.  Maybe it's a USA only thing, are you US based?  I haven't actually tried it in months, so it's possible they broke it again.  I was able to install it on a new phone last year and family sharing worked as well.  It also may be temporary, the app store goes through changes.  I just searched one of my devices and it's not showing up either.

Yes, used the same AppleID as I originally purchased and I'm US based, logging in the US App Store.   Haiku is gone for good it seems -- the developer could have removed the bits as well.  That is an option for even previously purchased products.  They allow this for legal reasons, etc.  Null River was the original publisher, not sure if they dissolved or what, but their page doesn't lead to anything in the app store anymore either -- broken link (http://www.nullriver.com)... 

I will tell you if there is one thing I really wish I had in Haiku Helper that I don't today it would be the ability to make announcements via Amazon Echo.  I don't think the amazon platform is setup to do announcements yet but if there was an easy way to push "Back Door" out of my Amazon devices that would be awesome.  Right now I use a different series of beeps for different things and its quite annoying.  Almost like having to learn morse code and I am  the only one in the family who knows what they all mean which means they are pretty worthless.  I have alerts for Trash Night, Or Kids Ac Problem.  End Gate, Main Gate Open.  They need to be quick.  I had this setup with the Russound system and it kinda sucked.  It was loud, obnoxious and very slow....  Just a future enhancement idea.

heffneil said:
I will tell you if there is one thing I really wish I had in Haiku Helper that I don't today it would be the ability to make announcements via Amazon Echo.  I don't think the amazon platform is setup to do announcements yet but if there was an easy way to push "Back Door" out of my Amazon devices that would be awesome.  Right now I use a different series of beeps for different things and its quite annoying.  Almost like having to learn morse code and I am  the only one in the family who knows what they all mean which means they are pretty worthless.  I have alerts for Trash Night, Or Kids Ac Problem.  End Gate, Main Gate Open.  They need to be quick.  I had this setup with the Russound system and it kinda sucked.  It was loud, obnoxious and very slow....  Just a future enhancement idea.
I do the announcements using HAI voice board. HAI has a library of words you can use or you can record your own (that part is quite cumbersome as it needs to be done via the phone). But having a built in text-to-speech functionality would be quite nice.

While Alexa integration would be nice, the HAI voice board works well.  If you run it into an amp or use a mini-amp driving the keypad speakers, it sounds great.

If you have Sonos you can use Jishi’s code from GitHub to let HAI send text to speech announcements over your Sonos speakers. It’s a little bit of work to set up, but it works pretty well, and it’s very flexible. The library does quite a bit more than just voice announcements, but it’s pretty lightweight, so you should be able to run it easily from a Pi. I have it running on my iMac because I already need to leave the iMac on all the time anyway.

https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api

I don't use Sonos so that is out. I do use Amazon Echos :) I have a dot in every room.

In terms of the voice board - I have that but you need additional wires to your keypads I think right?

heffneil said:
In terms of the voice board - I have that but you need additional wires to your keypads I think right?

Yes, if you use the speaker keypads, but the sound doesn't have to run to the keypads.  You can output it to any device you want.

heffneil said:

Nice!  Right now I'm heavily invested/focused on Apple's capabilities -- Myro:Home Helper with HomeKit bridging is amazing.   The best part is my HAI system is now HomeKit meaning, Siri, home pods, appletv, watch all can control my HAI system.    I can just summon Siri to do things on my HAI system, even simply ask her status about units, security, thermos, etc.

That said, the Myro:Home iOS app is, in my opinion still a better interface to control all the deeper details of my HAI system.

As for Amazon ecosystem, I'm already using Echo with HomeSeer/HAI plugin, and it's pretty solid and fairly inexpensive setup if you want Echo/Alexia integration.

I just don't like to use it because the extra "trigger" word of "homeseer", "Alexa, tell homeseer to turn on the bedroom lights" makes it cumbersome.

With Siri, it's just the name of the device... much more natural and easier for the wife, kids and inlaws/guests that are not as savvy to conversationally interact with the system.

Also, having consistency, especially around voice control is important, as we're and Apple ecosystem home, asking Siri to do things in the car, on the go and in the home makes thing very consistent and usably.

With iOS 12 and Siri shortcuts HomeKit will become even more powerful and I believe having our HAI system exposed to that will make our homes even that much more relevant.

If you set up the Alexa interface through the Hue Emulator, you don't need the extra trigger word.  If you add a Web interface to Myro:Home Helper (like Haiku Helper has), we'll be able to have the Hue Emulator send the commands through HTTP requests to Myro:Home Helper.  I can't remember if I already sent you my Hue Emulator configuration files as samples, but I'm happy to do so if it helps.

I love the Siri integration, particularly because I have an Apple Watch Gen 2 (and I may upgrade to one of the new ones... it sounds like they are much faster, and the speed of my Gen 2 is irritating), but the Alexa interface seems to process the commands faster.  It could have something to do with my Gen 2 watch being a bit slow itself, but overall I think Alexa parses speech commands noticeably faster.  In the long run, I would like to have both.  In my family, I'm the only one with an Apple watch, so my family members don't always have Siri available as they're sitting around the house, but Alexa can hear you from pretty far away and it works well for the areas of the house that we usually hang out in.

2MuchTech said:
If you set up the Alexa interface through the Hue Emulator, you don't need the extra trigger word.  If you add a Web interface to Myro:Home Helper (like Haiku Helper has), we'll be able to have the Hue Emulator send the commands through HTTP requests to Myro:Home Helper.  I can't remember if I already sent you my Hue Emulator configuration files as samples, but I'm happy to do so if it helps.

I love the Siri integration, particularly because I have an Apple Watch Gen 2 (and I may upgrade to one of the new ones... it sounds like they are much faster, and the speed of my Gen 2 is irritating), but the Alexa interface seems to process the commands faster.  It could have something to do with my Gen 2 watch being a bit slow itself, but overall I think Alexa parses speech commands noticeably faster.  In the long run, I would like to have both.  In my family, I'm the only one with an Apple watch, so my family members don't always have Siri available as they're sitting around the house, but Alexa can hear you from pretty far away and it works well for the areas of the house that we usually hang out in.

Watch S3 is much faster and I have an S4 on order to see how that performs.  I've also tested and it seems that having either an 4K AppleTV or a HomePod act as the Hub, HomeKit responds quicker... I'm still trying to understand the topography of what Apple is doing... they don't publish many details...

Once we get all this software launched... we can begin expanding things where it make sense -- I have your HTTP request on the MHH feature list.  

Not trying to 'dis anyones products, but OpenHAB handles both Alexa and Siri control.  The Alexa interface uses the HA control, so there's no program trigger word needed.  Simply say Alexa, turn on living room lights.  Siri voice control works well also, but I think all the Apple Homekit programs suck.  Everytime you load them, they query all the items which takes quite a while.

JonW said:
Not trying to 'dis anyones products, but OpenHAB handles both Alexa and Siri control.  The Alexa interface uses the HA control, so there's no program trigger word needed.  Simply say Alexa, turn on living room lights.  Siri voice control works well also, but I think all the Apple Homekit programs suck.  Everytime you load them, they query all the items which takes quite a while.

OpenHAB is awesome and extremely powerful... but not for everyone and having alternatives is always good.

My solution to the Apple HomeKit query issue you face (with OpenHAB?) is that I keep a local core data store of the state changes of the devices exposed to HomeKit -- so when HomeKit queries the HAI exposed HomeKit devices, it pulls from local store instead of redundantly calling/polling each unit for each Apple device.  So updates are instant and in-sync without the extra overhead.  Would be happy to share my learnings with the OpenHAB folks to make that better as well -- if OpenHAB is polling each HAP device for every iOS device that would be extremely slow.

I am a Haiku and OmniPro user and I would be happy to support Mavromatiss new app and continued development. I pay my cable bill monthly so subscription is ok by me.

I just got my new iphone and it can't download Haiku to it.  This is totally a problem for me :(.  Not sure what I am going to do.  Is the new product available and working without a limited trial run? In other words can I buy it now?

Can Space control HiFi2 unit directly? 

I have a HiFi2 unit without an Omni Controller. I have been using Snaplink to control the HiFi2. The app has stopped working. 
Can Space work in this setup?

Back