The New Smarthome Blog

Lwong, please post your affiliation with SmartHome in your signature, as required for all vendors and manufactures. Thanks.

Wow, it is a "blog" except it is just full of product blurb with the same content as the old RSS feed. Guess if you can't innovate, you just rename the old stuff. Not impressed.

I unapproved the post (so it's invisible until changed back), and suspended posting rights, please PM me once you have your signature updated. Thanks!

Wow, it is a "blog" except it is just full of product blurb with the same content as the old RSS feed. Guess if you can't innovate, you just rename the old stuff. Not impressed.

Sorry about not updating my signature.

We are migrating the current RSS feed to the blog to make it easier for readers to access the information. Please let us know what other information you want to see on the blog.

Thanks!

Please let us know what other information you want to see on the blog.
A blog should have more information and less advertising. What was wrong with the RSS feed? Most of the specials were time sensitive anyway, so there is no need to read them after they expire.

We are migrating the current RSS feed to the blog to make it easier for readers to access the information. Please let us know what other information you want to see on the blog.
Thanks!
Well, that would explain it then. Might have been worth stating that up front :)

Now I can tell you why this is worse than the old feed, that is because the blog RSS feed only provides snippets of the text, and the old RSS feed provided the full rich media content. If I subscribe to a blog I want the FULL text so I'm afraid I've immediately unsubscribed from the new one. Maybe you'll consider changing this though.

Now, as for content, as has been stated, try and get more creative than just posting the product blurb. Blogs need to have an identity, one or more people and personalities behind them. Right now, this one has none. It is completely devoid of that. Even the posts are posted by a Mr. "smarthomeblog". Can't get more anonymous and bland than that!

How about write-up's of HA information, not just your product info. I could go to your website for that information. I don't see the point of this "blog."

Sorry about not updating my signature.

Thanks!
i'd like to see a projected date for houselinc fixes or a statement of direction for the product

Yeah, like when are there going to be KeypadLinc Relays?
:p Seriously... You expect an more factual statement like "because we've proven we aren't capable of managing our own product schedule or releasing products without bugs (or even that follow our own specifications), it is company policy not to discuss any product before it is made available for purchase. After purchase, we'll just ignore the bugs for as long as possible and pretend they don't exist. Then eventually we'll introduce a new product that fixes those issues so you can pay to upgrade to it." :)

Yeah, like when are there going to be KeypadLinc Relays?
:p Seriously... You expect an more factual statement like "because we've proven we aren't capable of managing our own product schedule or releasing products without bugs (or even that follow our own specifications), it is company policy not to discuss any product before it is made available for purchase. After purchase, we'll just ignore the bugs for as long as possible and pretend they don't exist. Then eventually we'll introduce a new product that fixes those issues so you can pay to upgrade to it." :D

I have nothing nice to say so...... what Brad said :)

Then eventually we'll introduce a new product that fixes those issues so you can pay to upgrade to it."

I think that's a bit harsh considering I've never heard of Smarthome not replacing a device that had a bug fixed under warranty.

I agree that many of the bugs shouldn't have existed to begin with, but once they are fixed SmartHome always seems willing to swap them out.

Then eventually we'll introduce a new product that fixes those issues so you can pay to upgrade to it."

I think that's a bit harsh considering I've never heard of Smarthome not replacing a device that had a bug fixed under warranty.

I agree that many of the bugs shouldn't have existed to begin with, but once they are fixed SmartHome always seems willing to swap them out.

Mike,

They have known about the paddles for about 12 months and the keypadlinc firmware for about 9 or more. They also know about the togglelinc problem for about 6 months or more.

Yet if you called today and your device was out of warranty for a month they would not exchance it. I threw out 3 or 4 Icons with paddle problems because they said they are out of warranty since February/March.

So are we really being unfair?? If they have a known problem they should replace the device. I have 16 right now (more all of the time) that have flicker or paddle problems. Plus I have one bad togglelinc and 6 or 7 bad keypdalincs. All need to be replaced but yet SH says they dont want to. The batch of 16 are useless and in warranty (but some not for long). The togglelinc is not a crisis, and the keypadlincs have limited functionality (and a few have the keypad lights that flicker with the mesh traffic which is sooooo annoying). They just dont want to eat all of the money but why should we. I had to buy a ton of extra's (trust me its about 12 or more) yet I still dont have all devices working right because THEY DONT.

SOme people may think I am being unfair but they are not standing behind their products. They will wait until the warranties expire before they come out with a fix and agree to exhange those in warranty.

Back