Thermostat Programming Oddities

broconne

I am attempting to setup some rules for when I work at home. I essentially, want to set back the thermostat on the 1st floor.

Code:
35. //    Thermostat Setbacks
36. WHEN Downstairs Setback Button
   THEN 1st Floor Thermostat HEAT SETPOINT 62
   THEN 1st Floor Thermostat COOL SETPOINT 85
   THEN 1st Floor Thermostat MODE AUTO
   THEN 1st Floor Thermostat FAN AUTO
37. WHEN Upstairs Setback Button
   THEN 2nd Floor Thermostat HEAT SETPOINT 64
   THEN 2nd Floor Thermostat COOL SETPOINT 80
   THEN 2nd Floor Thermostat MODE AUTO
   THEN 2nd Floor Thermostat FAN AUTO
38. //    Work around slow thermostat mode switching
39. WHEN Downstairs Set Back Timer OFF
   THEN RUN Downstairs Setback Button
40. //    Working at home Thermostat Override
41. WHEN Working at home button
   THEN Work At Home Flag ON
   THEN RUN Downstairs Setback Button
42. TIMED 4:00 PM MTWTFSS
TIMED 12:00 AM MTWTFSS
WHEN Cancel Work At Home Button
   THEN Work At Home Flag OFF
43. WHEN OFF
  AND IF Work At Home Flag ON
   THEN Downstairs Set Back Timer ON FOR 1 MINUTE

The code correctly sets the thermostat back on the first floor when I run the button. What I am struggling with is having the code restore the setback. For example, when I run out to lunch I want the thermostat to setback into away mode like normal. But upon my return I want it to enter back into "day" mode for the rest of the house and then rerun the set back.

This code seems to work, except for one minor thing. When I arm the system into away mode it starts that set back timer? Its almost as if the system switches triggers the "off" block before going into away. Any ideas why it would do that or how to work around it?

If you use "Occupancy" mode in the Tstat, you don't need a lot of programming in the Omni.
See my other post in your other thread.

Desert -
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in the other thread. I am using "Occupancy" mode. But there are times, like when i am working from home. That I am set to "day" mode but want to setback the downstairs as in my example.

I'll keep comments in this thread to avoid jumping back and forth.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding, is this what you are trying to accomplish?

You are working at home.
The Omni is armed in "Day" mode, so the Tstat is using the "Day" setpoints.
You want to change the first floor setpoints while remaining in "Day" mode on the Omni (no mode change).
You change the setpoints via a button.
You run out and arm the Omni in "Away" mode so the Tstat uses the "Away" setpoints.
When you return you rearm in "Day" mode so the Tstat uses the "Day" setpoints.
And now you want to change the Tstat stored setpoints to the modified setpoints above and do this automatically.

Is that correct?

Desert -
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am working at home:
My Omni is not armed, so the TStat is using the "Day" setpoints.
I want to change the first floor setpoints while remaining in "Day" mode on the Omni (no mode change).
I change the setpoints via a button.
I run out and arm the Omni in "Away" mode so the Tstat uses the "Away" setpoints.
I return I disarm the system so the Tstat uses the "Day" setpoints.
One minute after I disarm, I run the downstairs setback button.

This all works fine actually.

The problem I am having is, when I arm the system from "Off" into "Away" mode this block of code seems to get run, and I don't know why:
Code:
WHEN OFF
   THEN Downstairs Set Back Timer ON FOR 1 MINUTE

i am having a similar issue in the evening, so maybe we can work it out together. :)

I programatically change the setbacks to the Night numbers at a preset time, even if we're still in Off or Day mode.
When I arm in Night mode I see the Tstat display read "Day" and go back to the Day setpoints for the two minute "Arming" period.
Once it's IN Night mode, it uses the Night setpoints.

It appears that during the "arming" period the system is in the "Off" state and generates a transition to Off mode.
That would explain both situations.

Maybe you could add a block below your line 43. "WHEN OFF" block

Code:
WHEN ARMING AWAY
    THEN Downstairs Set Back Timer SET to 0

That should cancel the timer without generating an "OFF" event so it won't trigger block 39.

The flag should go ON then immediately back to 0 without an OFF.

Doh...
So.. I found my problem.
I have an HLC button at the bottom of my stairs called "Goodnight". We press that button when we go up for the night. I was having that also call my downstairs setback. When I went into "Arm Away", at the end of the arming cycle it performs the "all off" on the house, which in turn was executing the "Off" scene which for us is "Goodnight". That was then in turn calling the setback...

I added a simple if to that block, so it only executes if the system is not armed.

Back