thermostats

tlparker

I read some of the ugly stuff on the TT0000 (of whatever model it is) and it got me to thinking about two questions I hadn't really considered before:

- Is there some place that does a feature comparison of all the RF/IR (Z-wave, X10, etc) thermostats?
- Are they generally dependent upon the/a PC and its software for cycling on/off?

For instance, my current one I program manually, though a PITA method of setting start/stop times and temperatures for every day throughout the week. Annoyingly enough, I have to switch it between hot/cold (I've seen expensive ones that'll do this for you, though I've never understood why it has to be such an expensive feature if you keep the warm/cold temps reasonably separated (by at least a few degrees) it shouldn't make the system cycle from hot/cold too often fo worry about.

Anyways, though I dislike the manual programming, I also am not that crazy about having to rely on my PC being up and operational in order for my HVAC system to be operating properly. I can see where the PC would make it a lot easier to DO the programming, but once it's done, I'd like the unit to be fairly independent. Possibly doing some interesteing stuff like tracking on/off data and temperatures and sending the data to the PC for me to analyze and see if there's something I could do better to improve quality of life and/or economics of the system.

Given all that, anyone got any inputs/suggestions/comments? I was read to go with the TT000(whatever) since it's basically the only one I've found (at a WIDE price range, BTW, I found one place that had it for 169, vs. 240 or so at another place). Are there other options? How do they stack up against my requirements/desires above? Thanks for any insights,

Terry

anyone got any inputs/suggestions/comments?

I don't have any suggestions for a thermostat (as I don't use any), so this is more input/comments . . .

I'm not aware of any 'residential' (read: reasonably priced) systems that do HVAC logging/monitoring . . .

. . . I use temp sensors conected to an ADI Secu16I, via their Leopard touchscreen (similar to an Ocelot) . . . then, via Homeseer and the mcsTemp & ADI plugins I get temp and on/off status logged and can get nice graphs of it all . . .

. . . the HVAC system runs indepently, controlled by the Leopard, without any 'standard' thermostats . . . as I would have needed 5 of them I was able to justify the purchase of the Leopard . . . but I probably wouldn't recommend this setup for the average user . . .

. . . I believe you could use 1-wire temp sensors and switches for the data aquisition part just a easily . . . then use Homeseer & plugins to do the logging . . . If you can find a thermostat that can be programmed via a computer, you'd be all set . . .

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

I use an RCS X-10 thermostat. A PC is not required, only optional to change settings remotely. It does provide current temperature and current setpoint (SP) info. From this, and the fact that, in cooling mode, it turns on when the temp goes above the SP and off when it reaches the SP, you can determine run time. I log temps and runtime currently.

I haven't installed any thermostats yet but I plan on putting in the Aprilaire 8870's. I think they have the best balance of Styling/Features/Price.

I use the RCS TR16s along with my HVPro automation system. It does not rely on a PC to be available to work - but it does rely on my automation system to be there...

Overall very happy. The thermostats are nothing special, but I'm really happy with the automation logic behind them (again - it requires the automation system to be present). I've managed to reduce my heating expenses (even though gas prices went up) and expect to do the same with cooling.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Would you mind listing what kind of temp sensors you are using?
I use these sensors, but bought them at worthington- DTP-34

the are good for ~ 2 deg F resolution as is . . . I added a small homebuilt opamp circuit to get 1 deg F . . . see this thread at ADI's forum

. . . you can also use a straight LM34 if you don't need the dressed-up look of the decora plate . . .

Pete C

CAMSTAT vs. TZ16 - these are the two I've seen so far (BTW, one of the reasons I'm doing this is that my current one is on the fritz and i need to replace it anyways -- so any excuse to add more technology!). The TZ16 is about $110 more and I can't figure out what I'm getting for this. I'm read both of the "learn mores" (which provide sadly limited info -- pdf's of the manuals would be nice, hint, hint, vendors) and am trying to find the $100 diffence. So far the biggest difference I can find is that the mroe expensive one is harder to install (need to install a control unit by the furnace, that connects (physically -- this would be great if it were wireless, as my thermostat is in a bad position anyways)). Anyone got any experience with these or others and why to use or stay away from one or the other?

pete said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Would you mind listing what kind of temp sensors you are using?
I use these sensors, but bought them at worthington- DTP-34

the are good for ~ 2 deg F resolution as is . . . I added a small homebuilt opamp circuit to get 1 deg F . . . see this thread at ADI's forum

. . . you can also use a straight LM34 if you don't need the dressed-up look of the decora plate . . .

Pete C
Thanks for the info pete.

Wouldn't mind seeing your op amp design (interested how you obtained the one deg F resolution. What is the total voltage span?). Can you post the pics here on Cocoontech? Maybe create a separate thread so this one doesn't go to far off topic?

Thanks,

BSR

BSR, (tried to pm you, but your mesg box is full)

take a look at the hometoys article I link to from the post on ADI's forum . . . it does a much better job explaining then I ever could . . . let me know if you still want me to start a thread with the pics of my opamp (if I can still find them), they, generally speaking, look like the one in the article (though my pics have (had?) much better resolution) . . .

. . . I also used a different OpAmp, an LM324, as someone suggested (somewhere :), I believe as it could run on the same 12v supply as the LM34 . . .

Pete C

Thanks for posting that pete!! I will have to look at it later when I have some time to take all that in.

HERE is the thread pete posted for those interested (and thanks for doing that to keep this thread on topic!). :)

Back