Thinking of Moving Off the Grid

Not just the "High Speed" part, as much as constant connectivity, so those programs CAN "phone home" and alerts can come in and out with out interfering with the phone. I could not go back to having to wait to dial up ever again, or missing calls because the computer was using the phone.

I'm not going to go back to dial up. When I cut the cord on Roadrunner I cut the cord on the Internet. (Yes, I can live without email). I don't want to pay for constant connectivity just to let programs phone home. I will just pick programs that don't need to phone home.
Without internet how will you continue to Cocoon??? :(

I just wish there was a way to get rid of my electric and gas bills and I would be set.
Well, according to JohnWPB all you have to do is eat bean burritos at Taco Hell every night and you'd have more than enough gas for your needs. :(

I had actuallu asked my insurance company about damage to a solar system in a huricane etc. They said it would be covered if I had advised them of the install and they adjusted the policy. I asked them how much this "adjustment" would deflate my wallet and it was less than a $100 a year worst case (depends on size of system).

Admitedly its a gamble but in the long run might be a good thing for people to do. Saves a lot of oil and cuts pollution as well. Like I said its on the wish list for when I get an inheritance or wil Lotto.

I put in a tankless water heater and its to soon to tell how much gas I am saving.

Looks like Spanky's company gets to go on all the fun field trips. I might have to go to a rat infested highrise in NYC next week to inspect a 30 kw power supply for an elevator. Not quite the same huh.

My wife and I dumped our cell phones, and put $100 back into our pockets a month.

You won't believe how much more you enjoy life more without that cell phone. No more interruptions while driving, during meals, in the checkout line, and on, and on. You actually get to talk to your kids :(

Steve said:
My plan is to find somebody who works in an office with a fast Internet connection and fast laser printer and have them print out each days postings for me.

Mike said:
JohnWPB said:
Free Credit report online $12.95 a month subscription.
If you buy microsoft money (not sure if all versions have it) you get a free year of monitoring from experian. After that it is $90 (or it used to be).

Might want to take advantage of that. Oh, my cut on the savings can be sent to....

just kidding.
you're allowed by law to get free credit reports annually.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

you get access to the reports from the 3 main agencies. and you can stagger them over the course of a year (check one every 4 months)

damage said:
JohnWPB said:
Free Credit report online $12.95 a month subscription.
If you buy microsoft money (not sure if all versions have it) you get a free year of monitoring from experian. After that it is $90 (or it used to be).

Might want to take advantage of that. Oh, my cut on the savings can be sent to....

just kidding.

Why do it at all? I've never paid for a credit report. If your credit is good you should know it. Right?

upstatemike said:
Steve said:
My plan is to find somebody who works in an office with a fast Internet connection and fast laser printer and have them print out each days postings for me.
Mike;

Now you are starting to disappoint me!! :(

upstatemike said:
Just get a wireless card and sneak some bandwidth from your neighbors :(

I was thinking the same thing except if I remember correctly I saw a picture of his house on here. I dont think the neighbors are close enough for that.

Rupp,

The free credit report is to protect your from identity theft. So yes you should get one every year to make sure nobody has stollen your idenity and opened up credit cards and lines of credit without you knowing it.

Dave

This is all good advice but I was mostly looking for a checklist of things I need to take into account before I can start shutting down services, especially Internet access.

Things like: How eill my DVR get a program schedule? (DirecTV receiver guides come off the satellite but the RePlay units use a broadband connection.)

And so on.

The credit monitoring service notifies you when there are inquiries on your account. If you just want to check your credit, clearly requesting a free report is easiest and cheapest. You will get an email upon any inquiry.

If you want it monitored or have continual access that deal is pretty good. If you get Money with a rebate (probably wind up paying $20 for the software) and get a year free, you can see if you like that approach.

I had it because of the money deal, but after it was over I did not feel the need to pay $90 for another year of it.

upstatemike said:
This is all good advice but I was mostly looking for a checklist of things I need to take into account before I can start shutting down services, especially Internet access.

Things like: How eill my DVR get a program schedule? (DirecTV receiver guides come off the satellite but the RePlay units use a broadband connection.)

And so on.
Times are tough here too but I can tell you Internet (even broadband) access would be one of the last things I would cut. It is just too much of a connected world with more and more reasons to be online every day. I would cut everything else (including subscription TV) before Internet. Then if I had to I would cut the Extreme DSL down to the basic. So I guess my suggestion is to look in other places as I think you will be very unhappy without access. I don't know your lifestyle, but I'm sure even 1 decent meal out a month cut would pay for basic DSL service. Not to mention the fact that with all the traffic here on CT lately, you will be arrested for forestry abuse if you really print out all CT posts daily! And we'd miss ya!

I agree with not getting rid of the internet. While I still have cable internet access at over $60 a month just for internet.

I would give up a whole lot more first, get a second job, get a cheaper internet broadband connection.
I feel the crunch too, we are changing how we live day to day slowly.

The basics in life just are too expensive now.

StevenE

You guys are making the Internet sound like some sort of club you are not allowed to quit! I feel like that character from The Sopranos who said he wanted to retire...

Back