Thinking of Moving Off the Grid

FWIW, I'm not talking about quality.
I don't like using the telephone; I like seeing people face-to-face.
I rarely answer the phone except for business stuff and people too far away to see.

I have two internet connections at the house - four if you count the two EVDO cell access options.
I can get a decent connection if I need one... and yes, I still keep land lines.
As I said, if I were trying to reduce my bills... that's just where I'd go: I'd risk my phone access in favor of a multi-use option (cell) with backup alternatives (VoIP).

Well, since 95% of the board responded here, I will add my .02 cents :D

1) I hate cell phones, but have to have one for work. I chose the Cingular pay-as-you go account and with as little as I use it, $50.00 last me about 4 months (including SMS alerts from my Elk system and credit score alerts from MyFico.com). At the end of a call my cell then displays how much I have remaining.

2) Solar Power: I currently have several panels totalling 1.2 Kwh so far and add a new panel when funds become available. Although I use much more than this when I'm home, it decreases my electric bill simply because I'm decreasing the amount of usage on the grid and hence, my meter runs slower. The biggest investment was the $2300 Fronius inverter that can handle my future solar panel additions. Every time I add a panel, I can tell the meter is running slower and also the decrease on my electric bill is nice. If I am out-of town (low energy usage), then I actually backfeed extra juice into the grid and reap that reward.

3) Credit Reporting: Yep, identity theft is a fact nowadays. In addition to my free credit reports, I subscribe to MyFico.com and swear by it. Within minutes of anything changing on my credit report I'm alerted via email and a cell phone text message that "something" changed. I then log into www.myfico.com to find out the specifics. Cost? $89.95/year ($7.50/month). This is cheap to be able to know your credit score anytime you want to know.

4) Elk/UPS: I have a dedicated 30 watt solar panel and charge controller to keep my UPS and Elk batteries up to snuff. I have two batteries in the bottom of my Elk can wired in parallel. The wall-wart will kick in via a relay if the battery voltage gets below 10 volts because of clouds, storms, etc but in over a year of usage this has never happened.

5) Hot Water Heater: I have yet to go solar on this, but have rules in my Elk to turn the hot water heater on for 35 minutes at 6:00am, 12:00pm and 6:30pm. Since I wrapped the electric water heater in insulation, the water stays hot pretty much all day long. I can override this with a button on the Elk if company is over or hot water usage is otherwise high. In general, my hot water heater runs for just over 1.5 hours a day and I've never felt I was without hot water.

6) Dishwasher: To save money, you really shouldn't have one but I'm lazy when it comes to the dishes. I have an energy efficient model with a timer so the dishes get washed in the wee hours of the morning. It heats its own water so I don't have to rely on heating 50 gallons of water before the dishes get clean.

7) Lights: 99% of the lights in the house are CFLs. This greatly cuts down on energy usage. The outdoor, motion-sensing security lights are powered by solar and consume no electricity from the grid. You can find them cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. MUCH better than the 120v, 500 Watt (x2) energy guzzlers they replaced plus they will work during a power outage!

That's some pretty impressive stuff. I really like the hot water heater idea, but I have 2 concerns. Would it be worth it if the heater was natural gas based? Also, have you tried to do the math to see if the amount of energy to heat the entire tank in the morning vs small heating events during the night is that much different?

That's some pretty impressive stuff. I really like the hot water heater idea, but I have 2 concerns. Would it be worth it if the heater was natural gas based? Also, have you tried to do the math to see if the amount of energy to heat the entire tank in the morning vs small heating events during the night is that much different?

My understanding it that natural gas hot water heaters are not easily automated. I also dont know how much you would save reheating in the morning like you stated but you never know.

I wrestled with this for a few months and opted for a tankless hot water heater. I have been very happy and save about $40 a month in gas (and never run short on hot water). I installed it myself so payback on the investment was 9 months. A professionally installed unit would take years (maybe 6).

Electron,

I've done the math on the hot water heater and find that I save about 93% in the winter compared to running it full time. I'm not sure what the metrics are in the summer but I certainly noticed a substantial drop in my electric bill since going this route. I live in Houston so the winters are not terribly cold.

As my water heater (and the entire house for that matter) is electric, I wouldn't know how much it might save on natural gas.

Digger; I'm interested in the tankless hot water heater for three reasons: Always having hot water, saving $$$ and freeing up the space used by my enormous hot water heater. How difficult was it to install? Does it run on 120vac ,240 or gas? Is it a whole-house heater or is it just at the point of delivery?

BTW: My new 360 watt solar panel arrived today... Time to stick it to the man a little more! :rolleyes:

I've done the math on the hot water heater and find that I save about 93% in the winter compared to running it full time.
Are you saying that automating your electric water heater lowered your costs 93%? I find that hard to believe. I monitor my heater, but don't control it and there is no way I could cut the run time down 93%.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/waterheaters.html said:
Use a timer on older electric heaters. These don't save as much money as you'd expect, though. That's because a typical electric water heater only runs about three hours a day anyway, and modern energy-efficient water heaters run only 1.3 hours or so. Standby losses (how much heat the tank loses by just sitting there) aren't that great, especially for modern heaters. (In fact, if your heater was made after 1998, it's probably not worth using a timer at all.)
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/water_heating/index.cfm/mytopic=13110 said:
If you have an electric water heater, you can save an additional 5%–12% of energy by installing a timer that turns it off at night when you don't use hot water and/or during your utility's peak demand times.

Electron,

I've done the math on the hot water heater and find that I save about 93% in the winter compared to running it full time. I'm not sure what the metrics are in the summer but I certainly noticed a substantial drop in my electric bill since going this route. I live in Houston so the winters are not terribly cold.

As my water heater (and the entire house for that matter) is electric, I wouldn't know how much it might save on natural gas.

Digger; I'm interested in the tankless hot water heater for three reasons: Always having hot water, saving $$$ and freeing up the space used by my enormous hot water heater. How difficult was it to install? Does it run on 120vac ,240 or gas? Is it a whole-house heater or is it just at the point of delivery?

BTW: My new 360 watt solar panel arrived today... Time to stick it to the man a little more! :rolleyes:

Mine is a natural gas. It still needs 120 Vac. To ignite the gas it draws about 60 watts for 5 seconds then 15 watts for a small exhaust fan. Other than that about 1 watt in standby.

Gas bill dropped about 30% and I think we tend to use more hot water (longer showers when you dont run out of hot water).

Back