Time

RAL said:
If you are interested in this sort of stuff, read A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking.  It's very understandable, even if you aren't an astrophysicist.

I picked up a copy of the book used. If you are ever looking for a book that's been in publication for a while and are OK with a used book you have to check out abebooks.com.

Mike.

Abe Books is a great source for used and/or out of print books.  I've bought a number of books through them over the years. 

mikefamig said:
I also like space. I was just wondering why we measure everything in time in the first place. Why not distance:)

I'm 61 years old and our earth travels approx 584,000,000 miles in each trip around the sun which means that I have ~ 584,000,000 x 61 or 35,624,000,000 miles on me give or take a few.

Mike.
That's only 0.0061 light years, or a little over twice the diameter of out solar system. On a galactic scale you haven't moved at all.

An interesting what if movie.

Grand Tour: Disaster in Time (1992)
"Timescape" (original title)

Timescape, released on video as Grand Tour: Disaster in Time, is a 1992 American science fiction film by Director David Twohy. This time-travel-themed film is based on the novel Vintage Season by Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore.

It stars Jeff Daniels, with Ariana Richards (who achieved international fame the following year playing Lex in Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park) and features a cameo appearance by Robert Colbert, one of the co-stars of Irwin Allen's 1960s TV series The Time Tunnel.

Timescape.jpg

BTW the original document mentioned above was written in French / German.  Still looking.

pete_c said:
Here is a never ending Homeseer thread I started relating to Stephen Hawking a bit ago. He is not done yet.

From your link - I love the quote "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge".

or what I like to call the " I knew that" syndrome. Some people respond to everything with "I knew that" and they never learn anything because they seem to actually believe that they already know everything.

Mike.

Relating to Stephen Hawking; his mind keeps a ticking just fine; physiological bumps do not get in his way.

I think that it's interesting that we (meaning human beings) are so self centered as to be talking about time as if we know anything about it. Sea turtles or an Oak tree may know more about time than we do. All we know is how we perceive things and in relation to both time and space our existence is miniscule.

George Carlin made a joke about how everyone is talking about saving the earth. He said that the earth is fine and will be here long after we are gone....we should be worrying about saving out own azzes.

Mike.

Yup; my pendulum clock stopped yesterday (or day before?).  I only really pay attention to it when it stops ticking.

It has been a while; must have been the thunderstorm here yesterday morning or the subtle change in gravity adjusting to DST mechanically trying to keep up with the digital clocks.

Geez; just realized I probably forgot to change it back to the future.

mikefamig said:
 George Carlin made a joke about how everyone is talking about saving the earth. He said that the earth is fine and will be here long after we are gone....we should be worrying about saving out own azzes.

Mike.
I often think about that quote, and have told people that the earth will be just fine long after humans are gone. However, I would prefer it not get too messed up, for humans to still enjoy while we are still here.

Neurorad said:
I often think about that quote, and have told people that the earth will be just fine long after humans are gone. However, I would prefer it not get too messed up, for humans to still enjoy while we are still here.
I try to do my part for the environment....bought a used home, burn wood pellets for heat and don't have any children that I know of but I can't go as far as driving an electric car. I'm an old car guy and love the sounds and smells and power of an old car. Maybe if I could afford a Tesla I would change my tune.

Mike.

Watched a movie last night called Parallels (2015) A mysterious building is the gateway to infinite parallel Earths.

parallels.jpg

Appears to be a pilot for a series of movies (episodes).  I enjoyed it.

Weather is so so in the midwest.  NEED more rain right now; not enough yet; well and not little piddling thunderstorms...

The fertilizer applied last week will now not burn the grass.  Irrigation is still in OFF mode.

Geez my browser changed languages while I was typing just now....never seen that before....(Firefox on Ubuntu)

Back