To Rackmount or not to Rackmount

compuguru

Currently, I have a piece of plywood with a small 5u rack shelf. Attached to that are my Cat5EPatch Pannels. I also have a shelf mounted to the plywood that has my router and cable modem.

Now, I have two computers that are sitting on a plastic crate, and they barley fit on there. They are both connected to a CRT monitor. I'd like to do something more with these, than have them on the crate. I've look around at some rackmount systems, but they are exteremly expensive.

I've found some websites that offer just the rails, and I can buy the shelving and everything else seperate. My question is is the cost worth it? I've got about 70" high of room I can fill up, next to my piece of plywood. Any suggestions on what would be the best course of action?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a wall jack that has a 3.5mm female plug?

I am still pondering that same question. In the meantime, I picked up a 5ft tall shelf with 4 shelves at Home Depot for $20, which I use for all my computer gear. But since I already have a rackmountable patch panel, and a 2U server, it's tempting. I probably will wait until I find a really good deal on a used rack, and then slowly convert the PC's to rackmountable models.

compuguru said:
Also, does anyone know where I can get a wall jack that has a 3.5mm female plug?
I know exactly what you want (well with caveats):

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%...=2224&sku=37036

One word of caution, the size seemed slightly off for some setups. I actually had to shave the plate a little bit to make it work. I'm not crazy about the connectors the wires go into (something isn't quite right, could be done a little better) but it did the job.

I had tried making my own previously and I obviously could not create something as clean as a manufactured one.

I haven't looked recently, but there used to be racks galore on eBay. Biggest problem was finding one for sale in your area so you don't have a $500 shipping bill. The other place to look would be at a hamfest (AKA Amatuer Radio Festival). There's always someone selling used racks at hamfests.

As someone else already mentioned, you can also use relay racks. I've got my whole house music system on one, and dont' see any reason you couldn't put a rackmount CPU on one, assuming the case is not extra long. The one thing I DON'T think you could get safely on a relay rack would be a larger size UPS. I've got two 3 KV units, and at around 130 lbs each, I'm sure either one would break a relay rack.

TonyNo said:
My solution was to buy a blank and drill a mounting hole for the jack.
that is, undoubtedly, the cheapest way to go about it. tis what I do.

jlehnert said:
I've got two 3 KV units, and at around 130 lbs each, I'm sure either one would break a relay rack.
Those are some nice units. Any recomendations on where to find one at a reasonable price?

If you do go with Relay Racks, there are center-mount rack shelves (extend front and back) that can support alot of weight, so mounting heavy components shouldnt be problem.

-Dwayne
RedRadio

smee said:
Paul said:
TonyNo said:
My solution was to buy a blank and drill a mounting hole for the jack.
that is, undoubtedly, the cheapest way to go about it. tis what I do.
Me too.
when I do it, I dont do quickport blanks, I just get the 16 cent jacks from parts express, and a 79 cent blank plate from the home depot. quickports are a good idea though.

A music equipment rack is compatible and much cheaper. Actually, most probably you will find components to build it near your home.

This guy made his own rack. Its actually pretty cool.

Those are some nice units. Any recomendations on where to find one at a reasonable price?

I got both of mine off of eBay. Many UPS units have a "sell by" date (around a year from the manufactureing date), and I've been told that after that date, the store is supposed to open the unit up and replace the batteries. Instead, many places just unload them on eBay. Both of my units were around a year old but unopened, so I'm assuming that was the case for them. One went for 5 years before needing replacement batteries last summer, and the other is still going. $300-$400 for the unit plus $80 for batteries, and it lasts 10 years. At the time I bought them, they were selling for $1500 new, so it was a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. The equivelant now is around $1100 street price, so I'm still ahead of the game.

Back