to rg6qs or not

kkapp

I am not sure if this is the place to post this, if not may a mod please put it in the correct forum.

what are the recommendations for using the quad shield rg6 cable? I have read numerous forums and discussions on it. It seems the norm is to use it for satellite tv and especially for high def. I had the directv guys out today to trouble shoot an issue which wound up being a cable that they had buried (not in conduit) and the gophers got it. Anyhow i noticed they were using just regular cable or actually rg6 solid core. I asked him about the QS and he said they did not use it anylonger they just used the regular with the solid core even for HD..

thanks, Kevin

i thought Quad Shield was the standard....at least for in home. Not sure what the cable company uses outside.

Does it reallly matter that much as long as you get it swepts to 3ghz...

Felix

the reason i even asked was what they installed in my house was not qs either when it was done. I did not know one from the other but reading these forums made me ask.

I've never had QS and have had no problems. But you never know when they are going to build a radar installation next door.

I've never had QS and have had no problems. But you never know when they are going to build a radar installation next door.

Given the frequencies involved, it didn't make sense to me, but, for what it is worth, I found QS to be useful near high voltage lines. I had a line that essentially followed an electrical cable and would not work well until I replaced it with quad shielded wire. Elsewhere the regular stuff seems to work, at least in a smaller install. Can't comment on 20 outlet mega installs.

Given the frequencies involved, it didn't make sense to me, but, for what it is worth, I found QS to be useful near high voltage lines. I had a line that essentially followed an electrical cable and would not work well until I replaced it with quad shielded wire. Elsewhere the regular stuff seems to work, at least in a smaller install. Can't comment on 20 outlet mega installs.

Yes indeed situations like the do occur. That is what I intended to suggest with my "humorous" reply, that you may encounter sources of interference where QS is needed.

We should also point at that there are different grades of DS, the better grades having a higher percentage of braid shielding. I think the foil is always 100%, yes?

And as you observed you want to try and keep your LV runs away from your HV runs.

Yes there are different grades. The foil is 100%, but the braiding can differ

Given the price of QS and its popularity, it can be better to use from a cost point of view and from a sales point of view. Most people who are interested slightly will understand what quad shield RG6 is and think that it is better (and not know why though).

Mick

Your cable company many be outsourcing to sub contractors for installation. Never assume what they tell you is the truth.. about anything. It may be a simple matter of what was cheaper @ his disty or what they just happened to have sitting around @ the shop. His "thats what we use now" line could be total BS.

I recently witnessed a Security supervisor tell a client that he did not need a sensor at a specific window. The real reason he said they didnt need the sensor was because his guy forgot to wire for one and now the house is finished and its to late. Rather than be honest with the client total BS came out of his mouth about how the window was measured and deemed safe.

The window in question allowed entry into a control room where $50k worth of Crestron lives. The window is on a hidden side of the house and the control room just happens to be a few feet from the baby's play room. BTW.. the window is plenty big enough for Mr.Cracky & Ms.Meth to slide right in.

While the cost may not be big enough to risk it (in other words, use quad shield), you really don't need it unless you are near a source of interference like a radar or TV transmission tower.

I'd question whether the cable was direct burial or not however :(

3 month old thread revival! :rofl:

Blame the new guy for not looking at the date :D

IMHO, if it adds value to someone down the line on the thread subject no matter how old the thread is, post it. Especially, seeing how I would think the majority of people are here for learning best practices and ideas from others. I have never understood the issue with thread revival to add information to the subject. Thanks for sharing, 39 Cent Stamp.

Back