Top 10 New INSTEON Product Requests

jrfuda said:
I personnaly would love to do this. I want to get rid of my 5 Zwave modules/switches and replace them. Insteon seems a prime candidate. (This would eliminate the Zwave controller from my HS) Not enough bang for the buck and reliability issues
Can you be more specific about your Z-Wave issues? Thanks.

markthomas said:
jrfuda said:
I personnaly would love to do this. I want to get rid of my 5 Zwave modules/switches and replace them. Insteon seems a prime candidate. (This would eliminate the Zwave controller from my HS) Not enough bang for the buck and reliability issues
Can you be more specific about your Z-Wave issues? Thanks.
See these posts:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=105732

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=105817

Or, heck, just start reading threads here: http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=624

jrfuda said:
To be fair, was Z-Wave really at fault in any of those posts?

On the first post, the poll indicated that the problem only occured on a specific brand of USB Z-Wave PC Controller. Additionally, it appears that it was only tested with one PC software application--and while it may be there somewhere, I did a quick search and didn't see the "Z-Wave" certification logo anywhere on the PC software's website.

It's really too small of a sample, but we've never been able to reproduce "power outage" Z-Wave issues using any of our test tools. And we cut the power on Z-Wave devices and on computers all the time in testing.

Post #2, again, refers to the same brand of USB controller. I know that that particular manufacturer is aware that there have been a number of reported difficulties with their USB products in the field. From the forums, it looks like people are having much better luck with the serial interface. We have done some limited testing on another USB interface (from Casaworks) and it seems to work fairly well.

As far as glancing through the threads in that forum, all of the issues still point back to software or a specific brand of USB Z-Wave PC Controller. I didn't see any posts which indicated Z-Wave flaws with Z-Wave hardware generally, or with PC software generally either. Any issues posted were in regards to specific software and specific hardware, implementations (some which may or may not have Z-Wave certification).

Anyway, I know that I too fall in the trap of equating protocols with manufacturers. When there aren't many out there, it is a very easy thing to do. I am very much looking forward to seeing new products (software, interfaces, switches, plug-in modules, and much more) in the Z-Wave world in the upcoming months. They should complement the variety of already-superb products already on the market.

Chris

Chris,

As a distributor of all of the leading manufacturers, I would have to say that the returns we get back on Zwave switches (ACT brand) is far greater as a percentage than anything else we sell.

Can you give of percentage of "unhappy customers" (that want a refund) versus "actual failures" (that want a replacement)?

WayneW said:
Can you or some other SmartHomer answer some of the other Insteon questions floating around? For example, whats up with the PowerLinc USB out of stock until next year?
The situation should be resolved in a week or so. We have received lots of feedback from the software developers and need to make changes to the firmware of the PowerLinc V2 models. Rather than continue to ship "known bad product" as some might say, we have taken the high road and pulled the stock from shipment. There is no shortage of the actual interfaces, just firmware issues.

Once they start shipping again, then we can swap out all the old models that are out in the field. :lol:
SJ

AutomatedOutlet said:
As a distributor of all of the leading manufacturers, I would have to say that the returns we get back on Zwave switches (ACT brand) is far greater as a percentage than anything else we sell.
Exactly--it's up to the manufacturers to create quality products. As they do so, customers will likely become loyal to their brand. If they do not do so, customers will likely return their products.

And resellers (like Martin) will likely stop stocking products with high return rates and will instead carry similar offerings from other manufacturers.

Hopefully, if a manufacturer has quality issues, they will learn from those and proceed to make better and better products.

I continue to look forward to all the new Z-Wave products coming out in the near future--and sincerely appreciate the number of high-quality Z-Wave products on the market today.

Chris

WayneW said:
Can you give of percentage of "unhappy customers" (that want a refund) versus "actual failures" (that want a replacement)?
It's probably not too fair to pick on one company in particular. If you're going to look for those statistics, it's probably best to look at returns at a more specific level--at the device level. I imagine some of them are higher than others, and that some manufacturers have very different return/defect rates overall.

It might be even more helpful to contact the manufacturer and help them (or at least ask them to) improve their products if you like buying products from them.

Chris

fitzpatri8 said:
PeterW said:
* Non-RF Insteon wire-in phase coupler, passive or (even better) active. To replace this: http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=760 or http://www.smarthome.com/22934.html or http://www.smarthome.com/110531.html I want to be able to pull the plug on the Signalinc-RF's if needed.
Why on earth do you want to break Insteon by cutting off RF reception?
Signalinc-RF's are an eyesore. I don't have many places that I can hide them due to the location of the power outlets here. I could probably add two side-by-side outlets on opposite phases in the garage and hide them there, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Secondly, I want to be able to have a working Insteon network if I ever have to unplug the remaining signalinc-RF's because of security issues. The idea of an unauthenticated, uncontrolled wireless gateway into my house network scares the hell out of me.

I've already verified that the UPB 'universal coupler' devices work for Insteon. I'd just like something a little more selective in what it bridges. I'd like something that does a notch band passthrough from 120KHz through 131KHz rather than a few KHz up to the megahertz range (which is what the UPB couplers do).

Signalinc-RF's are not necessary yet anyway. At least not until there are actual RF transciever devices.

PeterW said:
I'd like something that does a notch band passthrough from 120KHz through 131KHz rather than a few KHz up to the megahertz range . . .
Peter, a passive band-pass filter that meet those specifications could be made with a simple inductor and capacitor. It's what I use now to bridge my X10.

Back