Touchscreen power?

mrshanes

Hi all.
I've been reading several topics on here about everyone installing ELO touchscreens in walls. I see some on eBay and was thinking of picking some up. My question though is how is everyone supplying power to the screens? I see where serial/usb/vga extenders are being used, but nobody is talking about power. I don't want the cord going down the outside of the wall to an outlet. And I don't think it's legal to install an outlet in the wall to plug the monitor in (is it?). So how is it being done? What wires should I run for power? Pics would really help here.
Thanks,
Shane

I ran a wire in the wall and set a metal junction box and direct wired the power to the line.

I ran a wire in the wall and set a metal junction box and direct wired the power to the line.

I guess I'll have the electrician run 110 to my proposed touchscreen locations and terminate it in a jbox within the wall. So, you just cut the plug off the power cord and hard-wired it? I guess that will work since there is no converter. I didn't think of that. Did you put it on any kind of switch in case you wanted to cut the power to the TS?
Thanks

If this is part of a project (new construction, major remodel, etc.) that will require an electrical inspection, you may want to ask the inspector for options so he doesn't fail you on the next inspection. Even if it doesn't require inspection, many inspectors will answer questions like this over the phone.

It is against code to install a box within a wall. No electrician should do that. What you do on your own is your business, but you may not be covered by home insurance in the event of a fire.

It is against code to install a box within a wall. No electrician should do that. What you do on your own is your business, but you may not be covered by home insurance in the event of a fire.
According to my electrician, you can add a box in the wall if it is accessible. Mine is as it's behind the touchscreen.

I had the electrician put an outlet up in the attic right above the touchscreen. I took the power cord and transformer that came with the touchscreen, cut the low voltage wire and spliced in a piece long enough to drop down the wall plug into the screen. The plug and transformer are in a completely accessible part of the attic and the spliced low voltage cable is only about 8 feet long. I assume this would pass inspection if necessary but obviously you should check.

Pat

I intend to power my four touchscreens by running low voltage wires to a central location and using a single large power supply to power them all. It entails splicing the ends, of course. I'm having my audio guy wire it because he fairly inexpensive. I'm using 14-4 speaker wire, and wiring the two pairs together for extra current capacity.

--Bob

Back