Trouble Replacing HAI UPB Switches / OmniPro II

WadeJ

First post here, so bear with me. I have an OmniPro II installed about 2006, firmware 2.11. Typical alarm, temp, lights, audio setup. There are about 75 UPB switches and lamp modules installed, and I've managed to learn the basics of programming buttons, scenes, event-based rules, etc. using PC Access v3.17x. All works fine, and does what it needs to do. There are several light switches that need replacing, however, and I can't figure out how to get them programmed to work as a "replacement" for the one there before. Each of the switches has a "unit" number and name that I can see in the PC Access setup area for UPB. I have replaced one of the switches with a HAI UPB dimmer switch, and it works fine manually. When I put the switch into "setup" mode and try to configure it from a console, the system starts to find the device, then returns a "unknown device" message. Similarly, if I try to connect to a working switch from the console, the same error occurs. I've read a ton of posts trying to figure out how to replace a switch, and looked through the OmniPro manual and the HAI UPB switch documentation, but no luck. So, how do I replace a previously working switch with a new one, get it coded into the controller, and preserve the existing programming? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cocoontech WadeJ.

Relating to programming a new UPB switch using the console or PCA the switch needs to be an HAI switch and configured in PCA as HLC versus UPB.

That said...it is

easier to program a new switch using Upstart which you can download from PCS.

Run Upstart and download all of your switches configurations to Upstart.  Once this is done you can replace the switch easy peasy style.

Just remove the old switch and program the new switch with same ID number then upload what you have stored in Upstart for that specific switch unit number.

Pete, thanks very much for your reply. Sorry for not responding sooner, but apparently new members are the lowest form of life - appears to be a restriction on how often I can post. I did quite a bit more reading, and I think I understand your reply. I'm guessing that the original install/configuration of the system was done with Upstart for the UPB devices, and not using HLC? Is that why the existing switches aren't discoverable/configurable from within PCA or from the console? In any case, I'll give the Upstart route a try - the documentation looks pretty straightforward on replacing a device. So long as I configure the new devices in Upstart exactly like the old ones, is there anything I need to do in PCA after the Upstart process? Also, assume I'll need a PIM connected to the computer running Upstart. Can I just disconnect the PIM currently online with the OmniPro and use it for this purpose, or is that a bad idea? If I need a separate PIM to use for Upstart is the HAI/Leviton device suitable, or is there a better recommendation? For replacement switches, is the Leviton 35A00-1 a good choice? I think the unit I've already replaced (but have not been able to bring online - the subject of my post) was a SA device. Any special gotchas with 3-way switches - I have a few to replace. Is any "version" of Upstart better/easier/more suitable for my situation than another (HAI vs PCS, for example). 

Thanks again for your help Pete. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Really appreciate you and this site.

Wade

I am in the same boat.  I have a few switches that have gone bad and need to replace.  I will follow the above advice.  

I am in the same boat.  I have a few switches that have gone bad and need to replace.  I will follow the above advice.  

@wade,   You can delete the extra posts above easily by going to you post and hitting the delete button on the bottom.    

delete post.jpg

CajunHAI said:
Hmmm. .  I have about 56 switches for 3 years and never had one go bad.  Do you have a whole house surge protector on your house?

Hi Pete, and thanks again. I have a few specific questions before starting with the switch replacements:

So long as I configure the new devices in Upstart exactly like the old ones, is there anything I need to do in PCA after the Upstart process?

Also, assume I'll need a PIM connected to the computer running Upstart. Can I just disconnect the PIM currently online with the OmniPro and use it for this purpose, or is that a bad idea?

If I need a separate PIM to use for Upstart is the HAI/Leviton device suitable, or is there a better recommendation?

For replacement switches, is the Leviton 35A00-1 a good choice?  Any special gotchas with 3-way switches?

Is any "version" of Upstart better/easier/more suitable for my situation than another (HAI vs PCS, for example).?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replying to ano: The house, the OmniPro II and the switch devices are about 13 years old, so I'm actually not surprised several of them need replacement. Yes, I do have whole house surge protection - 2 x 200 amp panels each with integrated suppression. Thanks.

Reposted the above here as I had some major issues trying to format the above post:

So long as I configure the new devices in Upstart exactly like the old ones, is there anything I need to do in PCA after the Upstart process?

No.  If you upload the information downloaded in Upstart from the old switch then you will not need to do anything with PCA.

assume I'll need a PIM connected to the computer running Upstart.

yes

Can I just disconnect the PIM currently online with the OmniPro and use it for this purpose, or is that a bad idea?

yes

If I need a separate PIM to use for Upstart is the HAI/Leviton device suitable, or is there a better recommendation?

Here just purchased extra UPB PIMs and always leave the HAI PIM connected to the OmniPro 2 panel.

For replacement switches, is the Leviton 35A00-1 a good choice?

Yes.

Any special gotchas with 3-way switches?

Here never used UPB aux switches and went to just using same switches linked for 3-4 way configurations.

Back