Troubleshoot Elk/Nextalarm reporting alarms

EST

I have been using Elk w/ Nextalarm for a few years without problem.  My last reported events was this past summer.  No events since then to report until 2 recent alarms (false burglar and false smoke).  Both of those resulted in no reported events to Nextalarm.  No changes have been made to either system except I did install Elk RP back on my PC and I may have loaded an old database which may have made some changes but everything else with the Elk works fine.  

I troubleshooted the ABN of Nextalarm and found I did not receive a notification after 5 minutes of being off line like I used to.  I called their support and went through all the diagnostics and he stated he could see my ABN and when I connect a phone to it it worked fine, just the Elk was not sending a signal to it.  OK...So I changed the wires from Elk to ABN, 3 different ones to be exact.  Nothing. 

Since it's been a while since I installed the ABN I cannot recall if I had to do anything special to ELKRP to tell it to use NextAlarm and the ABN.  Under the Phone section I have NextAlarm with CID reporting and an account number.  All my reporting codes are correct.  I don't think there is anything else to change or check.

I don't know how to trouble shoot the problem.  I truly think its the ABN but support says no.  The guy doesn't know why it will not report off line status after 5 minutes and a ticket was submitted which I haven't seen yet.  I have Vonage and tried to hook the Elk to the 2nd Phone line in the Vonage modem but I got nothing with that...No dial out or dial tone or any tones.  

I plan on leaving NextAlarm but I want to fix this issue if it's the Elk.

Thanks

should be able to use the butt set feature to see if the ABN is providing the handshake and kissoff to the M1 and if the M1 is going off hook and dialing using DTMF.

Nature of the beast using an ABN dialer capture and redirect unit, it won't tell you or the M1 if it got the signals or not and retransmitted. You need to see if the M1 is sending the signals and which portion is broken down.

Thanks DEL.  That helped.  At first nothing happened.  But...thinking that the ABN sent information through the internet, there was no need to have a phone number set in the Phone section.  I placed my phone number and the Buttset worked and dialed out and the ABN sent the info and all is good.  So, I guess I had a Nextalarm phone number in my old Elk Database and I must have updated to a prior version that was blank.  Everything works now.

Thanks

Back