Troubleshooting/fixing slow internet

JimS

Have ATT Uverse 6Mbps.  Highest I can get due to distance from the server.  Speed tests often show 6Mbps but sometimes are horrible.  Am up early this morning (5 AM) so loading on network by others should be low.  Ran a speed test and got 0.30 Mbps.  Another time got about 1 Mbps.  Took a long time to start also.  Tried looking at my Asus router traffic analyzer and turned off some optimization in the router that bypasses the analyzer.  Still only shows about 0.9 Mbps peak (real time) when running speed tests that show 6 Mbps. 

We do a little video streaming but usually only 1 at any time.  We get buffering delays from time to time.  Usually minimal on most sources except Sling.  Sling does it a lot. 

Very frustrating as this seems pretty random and not sure what the real cause is - something in my network or something with ATT - or what to do about it.  Am looking into higher speed connection but options are limited here.  Seems like this should work much better than it is.  How to figure this out?

Turn off all QoS in routers and test. Always test from hardwired LAN connection. I found a setting in my laptop to choke bandwidth to my router with individual aettings for each connection.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

ATT says there is some issue with my line and is sending someone out to resolve it. 

It seems to  be resolved.  I told them on the phone that their site said something was wrong on their end and they said I needed a tech visit anyway.  So one was scheduled.  About an hour later they send me a note saying they corrected the issue on their end and everything should be fine.  It seems to be.  Time will tell how well and how long it lasts.

Back