Troubleshooting Pulseworx / Elk M1 G - Light Going Off Randomly

SteveInNorCal

Hello. I’ve got almost my entire house running on PCS PulseWorx switches with an Elk M1 Gold acting as the master lighting control. 

About a week ago, my front porch light (controlled by a PulseWorx WS1D or might be a WS1DL) started going off randomly once or twice during the evening hours. We have to turn the light back on manually. It doesn't seem to happen every night, either.

Until this problem popped up, everything operated 100% reliably for the 1-1/2 years since I installed the system.

The front porch light switch sends a link to an adjacent PulseWorx KPLD-6 Keypad Load Controller Dimmer which controls outdoor lights on the garage. I think both the front porch light controlled directly by the WS1D and the garage lights controlled by the KPLD-6 load control are going off (I need to confirm this the next time the lights go off).

There are no new loads or appliances installed in the house that might be causing noise. Electrically, nothing has changed since the original installation. 

Any recommendations on trouble-shooting and diagnosing the cause? Should I hard-reset the switch and reprogram it? None of the other switches in the house are affected by this problem. How can I isolate the problem between the Elk M1 and the light switch / load controller? It's been a while since I set everything up -- I seem to recall being able to examine a log of commands send over the system. Would this help pinpoint the source of the problem? How do I get to the log?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Steve

UPB is more robust than X-10 so even noise rarely can cause this, but very occasionally I have seen it.  Possibly one of three things:  1) Two devices transmitting at once and interference causing false triggers, 2) a bad switch transmitting for no good reason, 3) a bug in your code running on the M1.

UPStart can monitor this, but probably not the best solution, but you could try it.  If it happens nightly, try disconnecting you M1 from the powerline one night and see if there is a change. This rules out the M1 if it still happens.

You could try UPStart. It has a logger. Plug the PIM in for the PC near the lights to have the best chance of catching it.

Unfortunately, this isn't always easy to debug.

Back